The topic this week is all about the characters that we'd like to check back with and find out what happened to them after the book finished. And I have a LOT of these. But I limited myself to ten like a good child.
1. Molly Gibson and Roger Hamley - Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
There's a very simple reason why these two are right at the top of my list: ELIZABETH GASKELL VERY RUDELY WENT AND DIED WITHOUT FINISHING THE BOOK. Obviously, she intended for them to end up together, but I still need to knoooooooooooooooow. And find out what happens next.
2. Literally every single character - The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
I mean, seriously. I will never be done. I need more. And not in those little bonus content-y things that Rowling posts on Pottermore for holidays. I NEED MORE BOOKS, DAMMIT. The longer the better.
3. Rachel Watts and James Mycroft - The Every series by Ellie Marney
I want to check in on these two like five years down the road when they've finished university. Are they still investigating crimes? Helping the police? Have their own detective agency? Over their OMG-how-are-you-still-a-functioning-human-being PTSD yet? I might just go pester Ellie on Twitter until she tells me the answers...
4. Fair Finley and Gomery Overbove - The Wilfair series by Alysia Gray Painter
Oh, my precious babies. I want to check in on them periodically for the rest of their lives and make sure they're doing okay. Alysia - my birthday is coming up. Feel free to write me a Finley/Overbove wedding. #justsaying
5. Becky Sharp - Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
Becky's a total antihero, and she always manages to fall on her feet no matter how deep she's dug herself in. I'd love to check in with her somewhere down the track and find out what crazy schemes she's got in the works.
6. Aristotle and Dante - Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
This book ends on such a fabulous note. But it also ends with a beginning. And I would LOVE to see what happens next for these two and how they handle it.
7. Ellie Linton - The Tomorrow series and The Ellie Chronicles by John Marsden
I was pretty excited when John Marsden wrote The Ellie Chronicles, because I KNEW that Ellie's story wasn't over yet. But that series ended with a slightly ridiculous bombshell that I still don't know how to process. And I'd love to know what happens as a result of that bombshell.
8. Eleanor Douglas and Park Sheridan - Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
After that ending, how could you not want to check in on these two precious babies?? Fingers crossed Rowell will do a sneaky little cameo in a future book, like she did with Cath and Levi...
9. Amy and Roger - Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Again, this book ended with a beginning. And yes, we get a sneak peek/cameo thing of these two in Second Chance Summer, but it's not enough dammit! I need to know what happened in between this book and that cameo...
10. Anne Elliot and Frederick Wentworth - Persuasion by Jane Austen
I know that most Austen fans would say that Lizzie and Darcy are the characters they most want to check in with. But for me? I figure there are so many adaptations and retellings and sequels out there that it's pretty easy to find something that fits your particular head canon for what happens next. But Persuasion? Not so much. Given that Wentworth is in the Royal Navy and it's inevitable that they'd spend a lot of time apart, I'd love to see how these characters handled things.
What's on your list this week?