Somehow, I managed to go until LAST YEAR without seeing this movie. Which is utterly ridiculous because I LOVE John Hughes movies. But I think I lumped it in with Pretty in Pink, which I didn't really enjoy (I mean, she takes two okay dresses and makes one truly awful dress out of them. Plus, James Spader as a heartthrob? PASS), and never bothered to follow through on seeing it. BIG MISTAKE. Because Sixteen Candles, unlike Pretty in Pink, is hilarious from start to finish.
Reasons why Sixteen Candles is awesome:
1. Molly Ringwald. She's fantastic.
3. Negligent parenting. It always makes for the best teen movies.
4. Michael Schoeffling as Jake Ryan. Perfection, despite his unfortunate love of sweater vests.
6. Anthony Michael Hall. His character is a total creep, but he plays the part perfectly.
7. Cutting Caroline's hair off rather than just opening the door.
8. Long Duc Dong, possibly the best character name in existence.
10. John and Joan Cusack are in it, which is kind of fabulous.
11. LOL, pagers.
12. The conversation with her father.
14. Breaking the fourth wall.
15. The iconic scene on the table at the end.
17. Ginny walking down the aisle. Hilarious.
18. Sam's dad giving the "Ooooh, NICE!" sign when Sam points out Jake.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "I can't believe it. They fucking forgot my birthday."
- "Unbelievable. You make someone a bridesmaid, and they shit all over you..."
- "I swear to God, this has got to be a joke. Grandparents forgetting a birthday? They LIVE for that shit!"
- "Can I borrow your underpants for ten minutes?"
- "Her monthly bill came early."
- "I can't believe my grandmother actually felt me up."
- "Thanks for getting my undies back."
- "And where am I sleeping?" "Sofa City, sweetheart."
- "Dad, she's got her period. Should make for an interesting honeymoon, huh?" "Where are you learning that stuff?" "School." "Good. I get my money's worth."
- "A lot can happen over a year! You could come back next fall as a completely normal person."
- "Take those ridiculous things off, okay?!"
- "Not many girls in contemporary American society today would give their underpants to help a geek like me."
- "Jake, I don't have a car." "Take mine." "Jake, I don't have a licence!" "I trust you."
So. Have you seen it? Do you love it? Or are you going to try and convince me that Pretty in Pink is awesome instead??