Okay, y'all. It's been out for a couple of weeks now and most people who are going to see it have done so. So let's talk about TFiOS, shall we?
- Pretty much everything.
- The script. So much of it was lifted directly from the book and it worked really well.
- Nat Wolff. Holy crap, he stole the show in every scene he was in.
- Laura Dern and Sam Trammell. You got a far better sense of how Hazel's illness effected their daily lives on screen.
- It was one of the most authentic-to-the-book adaptations I've ever seen.
What I wasn't expecting:
- How funny it was. Sure, the book has its funny moments. And I think part of my surprise about the humour of the movie was that it had been a couple of years since I'd last read the book. But the movie was
FUNNY. And not just one or two funny moments. Like, at least half the movie was funny.
|This was way funnier than it should have been. Source|
- For them to have randomly made Hazel and Gus a year older in the movie than they are in the book. I'm not really sure why they did that, to be honest. But whatever.
What I was a little disappointed about:
- That we didn't get Hazel and Gus brainstorming what to say in the advert for the swingset.
- That we didn't get "Hump the moist cave wall". Admittedly, it would have interrupted the flow of the movie to have that happen after Gus' death. But surely they could have put it in somewhere else??
- "I lit up like a Christmas tree, Hazel Grace". I thought for SURE that moment would make me cry. But no...
SO. What did you guys think? Was it as good as you thought it would be? Did it live up to the hype? I NEED TO KNOOOOOOW.