For some reason, I never got around to seeing this when it was out at the movies, and I have literally no idea why. I mean, Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy in a buddy cop comedy? Uh, YES. And yet it took me until this weekend to watch it.
Sure, it's not a perfect movie. Despite being a female-led movie, there's still a whole scene in which Mullins calls her boss a little girl. And there were endless jokes aimed at an albino character, who was played by a non-albino actor. Sure, they broke the villainous albino trope, but why does it automatically follow that when you stop the jokes being about women, they automatically have to be about a minority group?! Sigh. (Yes, his character is a total misogynist, and is even described as such. But did they HAVE to make him albino just so they could make jokes about snowcones?!?!)
Anyway, all of that aside, it was a fun movie that was well worth watching.
Reasons why The Heat is awesome:
1. Sandra Bullock. You really can't go wrong when Sandy plays an FBI agent, now can you?
2. One upping the drug dogs. More than once.
3. Melissa McCarthy. Phenomenal.
4. Calling douchebags on their bullshit. Especially the dude who's all "Oh, see, I'm only here to pick up a hooker because my wife just had a baby and it's gross down there."
6. The soundtrack. It's great.
7. That the love story is basically an afterthought.
8. Drunken dance routines.
10. Dealing with persistent asshats at clubs/in the street.
11. Quality family time.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Jesus, what are those?" "Stop it, they're my Spanx. They hold everything together." "Why, what's gonna come popping out?" "Nothing, it just keeps everything where it's supposed to be. Like..." "Shit, like medically?"
- "My fear is that I'm gonna put you in a bikini and you'll still look like a fucking bank teller."
- "It was a terrible resume. He mentioned prison, and in special skills he said, 'keeping it real'."
- "Much more better? Drop the gun and take a grammar course, you idiot..."
- "Who closes the door to take a shit?!" "Humans."
- "Gimme a whiskey." "Fourteen dollars." "Fourteen dollars?! Is it magic fucking whiskey? Do I get a motorcycle with it? Is it served in Jesus' shoe??"
- "I gotta change." "What's wrong with your pant suit?" "...It's pyjamas."
- "Tell him I'll be there sharply at go-fuck-yourself o'clock, okay?"
Have you seen it? What did you think?