I've talked about this movie in the past, mostly as part of my "OMG I LOVED THIS" rambles at the end of last year. But I've never properly covered it for Movie Monday. Having bought it on DVD last week and watched it again over the weekend, it seemed only appropriate to cover it properly!
Reasons why Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters is awesome:
1. Jeremy Renner. Like you expected anything else.
2. Billowy coats. Y'all know I'm a sucker for a good billowy coat, and Hansel's is pretty freaking spectacular.
3. Matrix-style arrow avoidance.
5. Hansel has diabetes and still kicks arse on a daily basis.
6. Ridiculous weapons.
8. Ben and his fanboy flailing.
9. The final scene in the desert.
10. Famke Janssen.
12. Ridiculous modernisations. I'm sure some people will find the inclusion of homemade tasers to be over-the-top stupid. But for me? It adds a note of steampunk-ness to the story.
13. Headbutting douchebags.
15. The soundtrack.
16. The magic wands the witches use. They're pretty freaking cool.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Whatever you do, don't eat the fuckin' candy."
- "I hate to break this to you, but this isn't gonna be an open casket."
- "Revenge doesn't change the past. It won't bring our parents back. But it sure as hell feels good."
- "We learned a couple of things while we were trapped in that house. One, never walk in to a house made of candy. And two, if you're gonna kill a witch, set her ass on fire."
- "The Curse of Hunger for Crawling Things. I fucking hate that one."
Have you seen it? What did you think? (Obviously, it's totally ridiculous. But it's so FUN.)