Okay, so the VMars movie has been out for just over a week now, which seems a sufficient length of time for us to talk about our thoughts, yes? Still, I'm going to stick things below a jump cut for the sake of anyone who still hasn't had a chance to see it. YOU'RE WELCOME, SLACKERS.
Overall, I adored every second of it. It was so much fun, and so great to see all my favourite characters back on my screen again. Obviously, being me, I had a lot of thoughts about it. Let's start with the stuff that I absolutely loved, shall we?
- Veronica and all her extreme sassiness.
- Veronica and Logan because OMG FLAILING ALL THE FLAILS MY BABIES AAAAAAAAAAH!!! Yes, I fully recognise that there were serious issues with their relationship throughout the series, but I still ship them like whoa.
- Dick. I've always had a weird soft spot for him because even though he's a total douchebag, he's so fucking funny. He was no exception here.
- All the throwbacks to the show. Like Keith's "Who's your daddy?" line. And Veronica impersonating a reporter to get information from the sheriff. And Wallace raiding the student records.
- LEO. OMG, his appearance was fabulous.
- The cameos - James Franco, Dax Shepard, Justin Long.
|DEAD. Also, source.|
- Jerry O'Connell. He managed to be even more douchey than the original Sheriff Lamb.
- Piz finally standing up for himself and dumping Veronica.
- Facepunching Madison. I waited for that moment through the whole three seasons of the show.
- Vinnie van Lowe. AMAZING.
Okay, now for the stuff that I thought needed more explanation:
- Weevil going back to the gang. That was weird. Like, what did his hot wife think?!?! I NEEDED MORE DETAIL, DAMMIT. Actually, there was just insufficient Weevil overall...
- Logan being in the military wasn't sufficiently explained for me. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I was 100% convinced he was doing An Officer and a Gentleman bit at the start, and then the only explanation we got was "I heard about this" from V, and then a "you fly fighter planes for your country" from the fanboying lawyer. Would it have killed them to have had a two minute scene of "After you left, I realised I couldn't keep going the way I had. So I cleaned up my act, finished college, and joined the navy."????
- Veronica giving up on being a lawyer. Because all I could think about was her student loans. Couldn't she have added a legal side to Mars Investigations, effectively taking over from Cliff?? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE her going back to what she loves. But ohmygodthestudentloans.
Things that bugged me:
- Lilly not being in the memorial slideshow. Probably hard to work because Amanda Seyfried's all famous and shit now. But I kind of wish she'd been in there.
- JASON DOHRING CANNOT WEAR HATS.
- The Piz/Veronica relationship. It just felt like it was pandering to the fans (let's be honest - it probably was), and they totally could have found a way to include him in the story WITHOUT it being a romantic relationship. Also, I don't really buy Veronica going from "Piz dumped me" to "Logan sexytimes" in like six hours.