Sure, I covered a movie about magicians and magic tricks just a few weeks ago in the form of Now You See Me. But this one is less about the magic and more about the rivalry between the two main characters, so I figure it's okay.
Reasons why The Prestige is awesome:
1. Christian Bale. He is ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL. Especially when you get to the end of the film and you realise that he's been doing so much more than you thought he was.
2. The transported man trick.
4. The machine.
5. David Bowie. He has the best entrance ever (except for Captain Jack Sparrow).
7. Scarlett Johansson. Even if her accent is terrible.
8. The big reveal. Wowsers.
9. Michael Caine.
12. The costumes.
13. Rebecca Hall.
14. The ending. Holy hell.
15. Piper Perabo. Even though she's barely in it.
16. The fact that the story flips between the past and the present.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Are you watching closely?"
- "Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called "The Turn". The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige"."
- "Do you have anything to say?" "Abracadabra."
- "Nothing is impossible, Mr. Angier. What you want is simply expensive."
- "I apologize for leaving without saying goodbye, but I seem to have outstayed my welcome in Colorado. The truly extraordinary is not permitted in science and industry. Perhaps you'll find more luck in your field, where people are happy to be mystified. You will find what you are looking for in this box. Alley has written you a thorough set of instructions. I add only one suggestion on using the machine: destroy it. Drop it to the bottom of the deepest ocean. Such a thing will bring you only misery."
- "You never understood, why we did this. The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder, and then you... then you got to see something really special... you really don't know?... it was... it was the look on their faces..."
- "Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled."
- "I've hired a comedian. You know I hate comedians."
- "A real magician tries to invent something new, that other magicians are gonna scratch their heads over."
- "Never show anyone. They'll beg you and they'll flatter you for the secret, but as soon as you give it up... you'll be nothing to them."
- "I thought they might work for the government." "No?" "Worse. They work for Thomas Edison."