Oh, 1998. It doesn't seem that long ago, and yet it's so hilariously dated. Still, I have an irrational soft spot for today's movie, so...DEAL.
Reasons why Sliding Doors is awesome:
1. Gwyneth Paltrow. As a general rule, I'm not a big fan of Gwyneth when she's not playing Pepper Potts. But she's pretty great in this.
2. Monty Python quotes.
3. John Hannah. I have an irrational love for John Hannah, and this movie did nothing but solidify that.
4. The "what if..." concept.
5. Zara Turner as Anna.
6. It's so hilariously 90s. I mean, the costumes alone are a trainwreck from start to finish...
|I mean, seriously. Also, source.|
8. Jeanne Tripplehorn as Lydia.
9. The ending.
11. Humming the Beatles.
12. Lydia's outbursts.
14. A very young Kevin McNally.
15. Lydia standing outside the kitchen window.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Okay, I'll go. I was getting a bit choked up with all the testosterone flying about the place. Best I get out before I start growing a penis!"
- "Everybody's born knowing all the Beatles lyrics instinctively. They're passed into the fetus subconsciously along with all the amniotic stuff. Fact, they should be called "The Faetals"."
- "I'm really not a nutcase, I apologise."
- "What are you doing two weeks on Saturday?" "Probably killing myself." "Excellent. What time does that finish? Do you like boats?"
- "Gerry, I'm a woman! We don't say what we WANT! But we reserve the right to get pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating! And not a little bit scary."
- "'Never make a joke about a woman's hair, clothes or menstrual cycles' - page one."
- "You want my opinion?" "Will I like it?" "Well, of course not! It'll be based in reality."
- "Anna, I'm over him! What do you mean I'm not? How do you know I'm not?" "Well, two things really. One, you're still counting how long you've been apart in days - and probably hours and minutes - but the big-flashing-red-light way of telling you're not really over someone is when you're still reading their horoscope in the hope that they're going to get wiped out in some freak napalming incident." "Smartarse!" "What is he?" "A wanker. Oh. Aries." "Aries... Aries... well, just shows how much I know. "With Mars your ruler in the ascendancy, you will get wiped out in a freak napalming incident and Helen says bollocks to you." This guy's very good."
- "Come on! If you don't drink your fatty drinks, you'll never really achieve quality cellulite."
- "Put a wick in her mouth and she'd burn for a fortnight."
- "I kissed you." "Yeah. Yeah, I spotted that too."
What do you think?