I watched today's movie for the first time over the weekend, and it was so enjoyable that I figured I'd immediately bump it to the top of the Movie Monday list (I'm lying, there is no list. It's a constant shit storm of "What do I feel like watching that I haven't yet covered?") while it was still fresh in my mind!
Reasons why Now You See Me is awesome:
1. Jesse Eisenberg. Normally, I can't stand this dude's movies. But in this? He was brilliant.
3. Isla Fisher. Her accent confused me at times (it seemed to flip flop between her native Australian and an adopted American accent), but she was pretty fabulous.
4. The chase through New Orleans.
5. Woody Harrelson. There are no words for how much I love Woody Harrelson's work in recent years. This has just added to that love.
7. Dave Franco. I'm not usually a fan of the Francos, especially not with James' tendency to star in stoner movies. But Dave was pretty great in this.
8. The card in the tree.
9. Floating around in bubbles.
11. The piranha tank trick.
13. The opening card trick.
14. Throwing the handcuffs in FBI custody.
16. The bank robbery.
17. Hell, all the illusions ever.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Want to know how they did it? Just say the magic word."
- "I did NOT see that coming."
- "Please convey my deepest apologies to your colleague out there. I'm really sorry about this whole Tranny Tuesday thing, I was out of line." "Tranny Tuesday?" "It's an arrangement he and his wife have, or might not have, if you believe everything Agent Fuller's saying. Correct me, but isn't there a proud tradition in the FBI of men wearing dresses?"
- "Really? Can you be any more of a condescending ass?" "Yes."
- "FBI! Sort of... I need your car."
- "If by "has-been" you're referring to me, I just wanna say I'm flattered, because I always considered myself a never-was."
- "Don't worry about it. I'll call you." "You don't have my number." "I'm magic. I'll find it. Have a good night."
- "Whatever is about to follow, whatever this grand trick is, is really going to amaze. Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you'll actually see."
- "First rule of magic: always be the smartest person in the room."
- "Nothing is ever locked."
- "If you could reenact that look of absolute befuddlement, it would be perfect for the cover of my DVD."
- "I'm just trying to create the space for wisdom." "Okay, so you're like Buddha, if he wasn't so enlightened." "And you're like Jesus, if he was arrogant and all of his miracles were fake."
Have you seen it? What did you think??