For some reason, I made it until last year without having seen this movie. I know, I know, it's a total travesty. And yet, the fact remains. Obviously, I immediately fell in love with it, as is the case with most John Hughes movies.
Reasons why The Breakfast Club is awesome:
1. Molly Ringwald. She's just fabulous.
2. The soundtrack.
3. Dance parties.
5. Claire's lipstick trick.
6. Judd Nelson. Apparently he was kind of an asshat on the set, but he's still incredible.
7. Handraising in unison.
9. Anthony Michael Hall. He looks about twelve years old, but he's fantastic.
10. The explanations of why they're all in detention. Especially considering a lot of it was ad libbed.
11. Ally Sheedy. AMAZING.
12. Allison's lunch. I mean, a sandwich of Pixie Stix and Cap'n Crunch? Come on.
14. Paul Gleason. As with Ferris Bueller's Day Off, sometimes a douchey teacher makes a John Hughes movie complete.
15. It's directed by John Hughes
16. Trying to get back to the library without running into Mr. Vernon.
18. Sushi for lunch. In 1985.
19. Trying to prop the door open with a chair.
21. The ending. Especially now that it adds reminders of Pitch Perfect.
- "Any questions?" "Yeah, I got a question. Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?"
- "Sweets, you couldn't ignore me if you tried."
- "What's that?" "Sushi." "Sushi?" "Rice, raw fish, and seaweed." "You won't accept a guy's tongue in your mouth, and you're going to eat that?"
- "Being bad feels pretty good, huh?"
- "We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all."
- "Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. What we did *was* wrong. But we think you're crazy to make an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain..." "...and an athlete..." "...and a basket case..." "...a princess..." "...and a criminal..." "Does that answer your question?... Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club."
- "If you say you haven't, you're a prude. If you say you have you're a slut. It's a trap."
- "What do you need a fake I.D. for?" "So I can vote."
- "Well, in physics we...we talk about physics, properties of physics." "So it's sorta social. Demented and sad, but social. Right?"
- "Are you gonna be, like, a shopping bag lady?"
- "I don't have to runaway and live in the street. I can runaway and I can go to the ocean, I can go to the country, I can go to the mountains. I could go to Israel, Africa, Afghanistan."
- "Remember how you said your parents use you to get back at each other? Wouldn't I be OUTSTANDING in that capacity?"
So. What do you think?