I've made very little secret of the fact that I'm a massive fan of the MCU. And that I think Marvel is approximately 10,000 times better than DC. So it's kind of surprising that it's taken me this long to get around to covering where the latest stream of Marvel awesomeness began. Still, I got there eventually, and if you can think of a better way to spend New Year's Eve than going to see The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, then coming home and watching Iron Man, I think you're wrong.
Reasons why Iron Man is awesome:
1. Robert Downey Jr. I mean, come on. He's one of the most fabulous comeback stories in the world today.
2. Tony's response to testing the Jericho.
3. Gwyneth Paltrow. There are literally no words for how much I adore Pepper Potts in the movies, and I'm not sure anyone else could play her so brilliantly.
4. The press conferences.
5. Paul Bettany as Jarvis. Do not try and tell me Jarvis isn't a character. I will not believe you.
6. Tony's test flights.
7. Clark Gregg as Coulson. As much as I find Agents of SHIELD to be incredibly dull, the MCU wouldn't be the same without Coulson.
8. The scene where Pepper's stealing files.
9. Terrence Howard as Rhodey. I adore Don Cheadle as Rhodey, but there's just something about Terrence Howard in the first one that makes him seem more...military. Or something. IDK, he's great.
10. The scene where the eyes on Obadiah's suit light up in the darkness.
11. Proof That Tony Stark Has A Heart.
13. Jeff Bridges. He's a brilliant villain that you didn't see coming.
14. Tony hiding on the belly of a fighter jet.
15. The Mark 1 suit. Ugly as hell, but does the job.
16. Replacing Tony's arc reactor.
|I tried really hard to find a gifset of this scene. Womp womp. Also, source.|
18. Defending the innocent, then letting them get their own back.
19. The house in Malibu. I mean, come on. That house is fabulous.
20. Dummy and the fire extinguisher.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Iron Man. That's kind of catchy. It's got a nice ring to it. I mean it's not technically accurate. The suit's a gold titanium alloy, but it's kind of provocative, the imagery anyway."
- "So, you're a man who has everything...and nothing."
- "Okay, this is where I DON'T want to be."
- "Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave! With a box of scraps!"
- "Well, Ms. Brown. It's an imperfect world, but it's the only one we got. I guarantee you the day weapons are no longer needed to keep the peace, I'll start making bricks and beams for baby hospitals." "Rehearse that much?" "Every night in front of the mirror before bedtime."
- "Please don't follow me around with it either because I feel like I'm going to catch on fire spontaneously. Just stand down. If something happens, then come in."
- "Am I making you uncomfortable?" "Oh, no, I always forget to wear deodorant and dance with my boss in a room full of people I work with in a dress with no back.
- "The truth is...I am Iron Man."
- "If you douse me again, and I'm not on fire, I'm donating you to a city college."
- "You are institutionally incapable of being responsible."
- "Who the hell are you?" "Nick Fury. Director of SHIELD." "Ah." "I'm here to talk to you about the Avenger Initiative."
- "I do anything and everything that Mr. Stark requires. Including occasionally taking out the trash."
- "Oh, my God, you crazy son of a bitch! You owe me a plane, you know that, right?" "Yeah, well, technically he hit me, so..."
- "What is going on in here?!" "Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing."
- "Doesn't it kind of defeat the whole purpose of having your own plane if it departs before you arrive?!"
- "I'm sorry. This is the fun-vee. The humdrum-vee is back there."
- "Just call us SHIELD."
- "Good God, you're a woman! I honestly, I couldn't have called that. I mean, I would apologize, but isn't that what we're going for here? I thought of you as a soldier first." "I'm an airman."
- "Oh... ah... EWW, there's pus!" "It's not pus. It's an inorganic plasmic discharge. It's from the device, not my body." "It smells!" "Yeah, it does."
Happy Monday, y'all.