Remember when I said that I delved all the way to the back of my movie collection last week? Yeah, I discovered this piece of 90s genius languishing back there, and felt the need to rewatch it because it's kind of stupid but also sort of fabulous.
Reasons why Twister is awesome:
1. Helen Hunt. She's hilariously sassy.
3. Bill Paxton.
4. The synopsis on IMDB: "Bill and Jo Harding, advanced storm chasers on the brink of divorce, must join together to create an advanced weather alert system by putting themselves in the cross-hairs of extremely violent tornadoes." AMAZINGLY AWFUL.
5. Philip Seymour Hoffman. Genius.
7. Cary Elwes.
8. The technology. LOL FOREVER.
9. Alan Ruck. If you don't love Alan Ruck, I'm not sure we can be friends.
11. Jami Gertz.
12. It was written by Michael Crichton and his wife, and was edited by (among others) Joss Whedon.
13. The awesome sculptures at Jo's aunt's house.
15. Lois Smith. She's fabulous.
16. Driving out of the cornfield just as Jonas' team drive past.
19. The petrol tanker of explodingness.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Kansas is a mess, there's a big crease right through Wichita. ROLL the maps."
- "There's only been Melissa since you." "Wow, not much for browsing, are you?"
- "The Suck Zone. It's the point, basically, at which the twister sucks you up. That's not the technical term for it, obviously."
- "Hey man, what is your major malfunction?"
- [as the truck drifts off the road] "Can I drive?" "No!" "Then would you?"
- "She didn't marry your penis! ...Okay, she didn't ONLY marry your penis."
- "He really is in love with himself. I thought it was just a summer thing."
- "Cow... 'Nother cow..." "Actually, I think that was the same one."
- "In a severe lightning storm, you want to grab your ankles and stick your butt in the air."
- "Honey, this is a tissue of lies. See, there was another Bill, an evil Bill. And I killed him."
- "Have you lost your nerve?" "Tighten your seatbelt."
- "Don't worry about me. I know my way home."
- "When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you!"
- "What was it like?" "......Windy."
- "I can drive myself!" "Honey? Your car is in a tree around the corner..." "........Oh."
Have you seen it recently? If so, what did you think fifteen years on?