I honestly can't believe it's taken me this long to cover today's installment. Because it's pretty damned fabulous. Not *quite* as fabulous as the TV series that started it all, but a better ending to things than Fox gave us, that's for sure!!
Reasons why Serenity is awesome:
1. The opening scene with River.
2. Nathan Fillion. Oh captain, my captain.
3. The scene where Mal's talking to Inara on the wave, and the rest of the crew are busy shipping them.
4. Alan Tudyk. Excuse me while I cry all the ugly cries.
5. The conversation between Mal and Wash after the primary buffer panel falls off the ship.
6. Simon and Kaylee. Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
7. Gina Torres.
8. River fighting reavers. Holy hell, the choreography in this scene is incredible.
10. The soundtrack. Dear God, the soundtrack.
11. Summer Glau. She. Is. FABULOUS.
12. That during Mal's conversation with Inara on the wave, you can see a bunch of scars, all of which were incurred during the series.
13. Jewel Staite.
15. Sean Maher.
16. The aerial battle between the reavers and the Alliance.
17. Adam Baldwin. Especially his attachment to grenades.
19. Ron Glass. More ugly crying.
20. Mal fighting the Operative above the engine room.
21. Sarah Paulson. She may only be in one scene, but what a brilliant and terrifying scene.
22. It's Joss Whedon.
23. The cinematography is pretty freaking gorgeous.
24. Chiwetel Ejiofor. Goodness, he's fabulous.
25. River as co-pilot at the end.
26. That typical Whedon "Haha, you thought it was all over but I'm about to kill your favourite character with no warning!" moment. Sigh.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "I aim to misbehave."
- "I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar."
- "I don't care what you believe, just believe in it."
- "You take care of me, Simon. You've always taken care of me. My turn."
- "Where are you hiding, little girl?"
- "We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode!"
- "No grenades."
- "Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret."
- "She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."
- "Bullet in the brain pan, squish."
- "What was that?" "Did you see that?" "Was that the primary buffer panel?" "It did seem to resemble..." "Did the primary buffer panel just fall off my gorram ship for no apparent reason?" "Looks like." "I thought Kaylee checked the entry couplings. I've a very clear recollection of it." "Well, if she doesn't get us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn-through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting." "Define "interesting."" "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die?" "This is the captain. We're having a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
- "Do you know what your sin is, Mal?" "Aw, hell. I'm a fan of all seven."
- "I swallowed a bug."
- "In all that time on the ship... I've always regretted... not being with you." "With me? You mean to say...as...sex?" "I mean to say." "Hell with this. I'm gonna live!"
- "You wanna run this ship?" "Yes!" "Well...you can't."
- "Don't pay anybody in advance. And don't ride in anything with a Capissen 38 engine, they fall right out of the sky."
- "Shiny. Let's be bad guys."
- "Dear Buddha, please bring me a plastic rocket and a pony and..."
- "Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed."
- "You do that, you'd best make peace with your dear and fluffy Lord."
- "At last. We can retire and give up this life of crime..."
- "Can't stop the signal, Mal."
- "Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?"
- "Ready to get off this heap, back to civilised life?" "I, uh... I don't know." "Good answer."
- "So...trap?" "Trap." "We goin' in?" "Ain't but a few hours out." "Yeah, but...remember the part where it's a trap?"