So I'm scraping this in with a whopping seven minutes to spare of Monday, because the first of the family Christmas celebrations was this evening, and also I totally forgot to publish it earlier. WHOOPS. My go-to Christmas movie is obviously Love Actually, but as that was one of the very first things I covered for Movie Monday, I had to go to my second favourite. I love this movie, even though it's ridiculously cheesy and completely predictable.
Reasons why The Holiday is awesome:
1. Kate Winslet. She's flawless.
3. Cameron Diaz
4. Solo shopping trips.
6. Entire walls of DVDs. WANT.
7. Jude Law.
9. Eli Wallach.
10. Meet cutes.
11. Dustin Hoffman's cameo.
12. Solo dance parties.
13. John Krasinski and Kathryn Hahn, albeit for two seconds.
14. Attempting-to-cry montages.
17. Iris helping Arthur to improve his walking. Adorable.
18. Arthur walking in to a full theatre when he expected ten people to be there. ALL THE FEELS.
20. The two houses.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Would you mind if I sat? I feel like I might bump into you..."
- "I can't believe that you have had sex with the woman staying in my house!" "He told you that?" "Oh, my God!" "Oh, my God!" "Oh, my God! I thought I was talking to Graham! Can you just hold, please? I'm terribly sorry."
- "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to kiss you twice. And then linger on the second kiss..."
- "I'm looking for corny in my life." "That's a nice line."
- "I'm thinking we should have sex. If you want." ".......Is that a trick question?"
- "You're supposed to be the leading lady in your own life for God's sake!"
- "What exactly has gotten into you?" "I don't know, but I think what I've got is something slightly resembling... GUMPTION!"
- "I sew, and I have a cow. How's that for hard to relate to?"
- "Hello. My name is Mr. Napkinhead."
- "Iris, in the movies we have leading ladies and we have the best friend. You, I can tell, are a leading lady, but for some reason you are behaving like the best friend."
- "I'm a major weeper."
- "Accidental boob graze."
- "Hate my horrible life!"
- "I'm having a Hanukkah party!" "Did you join a Temple since I last saw you?"
- "You look like my Barbie!"
Have a fabulous Christmas, you fabulous people. Catch you on the flip side!
PS. What's your favourite Christmas movie?