This may seem like a strange time of year to cover The Empire Strikes Back, but I always associate it with Christmas time. Because a family friend was completely obsessed with Star Wars when we were kids, and every time we came home from Canada/England/wherever, we'd go to their place for New Year's Eve. And the four kids would end up sitting in the front room watching Star Wars. You may ask why this doesn't mean that I associate the Star Wars movies with New Year's. An excellent question. Well, it's because they were one of the few families we knew/know in Australia who have a real Christmas tree. So said viewing of Star Wars would always be accompanied by the smell of slightly sad and dried out Christmas tree.
Reasons why The Empire Strikes Back is awesome:
1. Harrison Ford. I mean, come on.
2. The music.
3. This scene:
4. Carrie Fisher.
5. The literal translation of the French title is "The Empire Counter-attacks", which I think is fabulous.
|Source. Also, LOL.|
7. Abominable snowmen. LOLOLOLOLOL.
8. C-3PO. Oh my God, the sass.
9. The obligatory chopped off arms.
10. YODA!! Even if he's kind of an obnoxious little shit to start with.
12. Taking down the AT-ATs.
13. Moving rocks with the Force while doing handstands.
14. The fight scene between Luke and Vader.
16. Lando Calrissian.
17. R2-D2. Tiny droid of awesomeness.
18. The big reveal of Vader being Luke's father.
19. The laws of physics are optional extras.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Why, you stuck-up, half-witted scruffy looking NERF HERDER!" "Who's scruffy looking?"
- "The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi."
- "Do, or do not. There is no try."
- "I love you." "I know."
- "I am your father."
- "Prepare the boarding party. And set your weapons for stun."
- "You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life."
- "Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1!" "Never tell me the odds."
- "Always in motion is the future."
- "Why, you slimy, double crossing, no good swindler!"
- "Laugh it up, fuzzball!"
- "Oh, my! What have you done? I'm BACKWARDS. You flea-bitten furball! Only an overgrown mop-head like you would be stupid enough to..."