While we were Dessert Day-ing last week, Deidre and I decided that we were going to watch Four Weddings and a Funeral, which is even more horrifically dated than you'd imagine. Somewhere along the way, we decided that we desperately needed to rewatch every Hugh Grant movie that I own. Sorry, Deidre - I accidentally on purpose started without you...
Reasons why Sense and Sensibility is awesome:
1. Emma Thompson. She not only acted in it, she wrote the screenplay. Because she's a BAMF.
2. Edward covering for Margaret's indignation while hiding in the library. Shortly followed by coaxing Margaret out by listing ridiculous geographical inaccuracies.
3. Kate Winslet. She. Is. Fabulous.
4. Ridiculously oversized hats.
|LOOK AT THESE THINGS. Also, source.|
6. The costumes.
7. Hugh Grant.
8. Marianne grumpily playing depressing music.
9. Blubbery proposal responses. Especially as it led to this (apologies for the shitty quality):
11. Playing "Spot who's going to be in Harry Potter in 5+ years time". (There are at least six)
12. Hugh Laurie. Oh my God, he is MAGICAL.
14. Imelda Staunton. Fabulous from start to finish.
15. Sisterly bonding.
16. Gemma Jones.
17. The houses. So pretty.
|I MEAN, LOOK. Also, source.|
19. Mass crying sessions.
20. Apparently they had all kinds of problems onset with horses farting in the middle of takes, and it got to the point where the horses ruined every take and they had to edit them out afterwards. Ahahahahaha.
21. The music.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "At least she can escape Fanny, which is more than I can say for any of us." "You do your best. You have not said a word to her all week." "I have! I have said 'yes' and 'no'."
- "Oh, Miss Dashwood! Forgive me. Do you by any chance have such a thing as a reliable atlas?" "I believe so." "Excellent. I wish to check the position of the Nile. My sister tells me it is in South America." "Oh! No, no. She is quite wrong. For I believe it is in-- Belgium." 'Belgium? Surely not. You must be thinking of the Volga." "The Volga?" "Of course. The Volga, which, as you know, starts in..." "Vladivostok, and ends in..." "Wimbledon." "Precisely. Where the coffee beans come from."
- "Perhaps Margaret is right." "Right?" "Piracy is our only option."
- "Does she care for olives?"
- "Your feet are cold."
- "I do not think she drew breath from the moment we left London..."
- "I like her. She talks about things. We NEVER talk about things."
- "If Colonel Brandon is infirm, then I am at death's door..."
- "What care I for colds when there is such a man?" "You will care very much when your nose swells up..." "You are right. Help me, Elinor."
- "Mr. Palmer, are they not the very creatures she described?" "Nothing like."
- "He is the sort of man whom everyone thinks well of, but no one remembers to talk to."
- "You talk of feeling idle and useless. Imagine how that is compounded when one has no hope and no choice of any occupation whatsoever."
- "No, no. It will not rain." "You always say that and then it always does."
- "Are you asleep?" "With you in the room??"
- "VIPER IN MY BOSOM!!"
- "To think! We can see his insufferable house from the top of our hill. I shall ask Jackson to plant some very tall trees." "You will do nothing of the sort."
So. Do you prefer this or the 2008 miniseries?