I honestly can't believe it's taken me this long to cover today's installment. Because it's made of pure, unadulterated fabulous and has a truly amazing cast.
Reasons why The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is awesome:
1. Martin Freeman. I mean, Martin's pretty much always awesome, not matter what he's in. And he's perfect here as the British everyman, Arthur Dent, even if he DOES have to spend the entire film in a dressing gown and pyjamas.
2. So Long And Thanks For All The Fish. Best movie opening ever.
4. Evil genius mice.
5. Stephen Fry as narrator. You really can't go wrong with Stephen Fry.
6. Getting slapped in the face every time you have an idea.
8. The Point of View gun.
9. Alan Rickman and Warwick Davies as Marvin.
11. A whale and a bowl of petunias falling from the sky.
12. John Malkovich. Oh my God.
13. Planet construction. Fabulousness.
15. Anna Chancellor.
16. Zaphod's costumes. Hell, Zaphod in general.
17. Helen Mirren as the voice of Deep Thought.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move."
- "Freeze? I'm a robot, not a refrigerator."
- "Okay, leave this to me - I'm British, I know how to queue."
- "Go with the hunch of a man whose brain is fueled by LEMONS?!"
- "I could calculate your chances of survival, but you won't like it."
- "All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world." "No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that."
- "It is most gratifying that your enthusiasm for our planet continues unabated. As a token of our appreciation, we hope you will enjoy the two thermonuclear missiles we've just sent to converge with your craft. To ensure ongoing quality of service, your death may be monitored for training purposes. Thank you."
- "I don't see what all the fuss is about, Vogons are the worst marksmen in the galaxy."
- "I think I'm a sofa."
- "A man who no more knows his destiny than a tea leaf knows the history of the East India company."
- "It must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays."
- "Okay. The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything is...42."