I delved riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight to the back of my DVD collection yesterday, mostly because I'd forgotten what was back there (it's arranged alphabetically, and anything after my Star Wars box set has been languishing for quite some time now). I *may* have squealed with excitement when I discovered today's installment. Because it's FABULOUS and I hadn't seen it in years.
Reasons why The Wedding Singer is awesome:
1. Adam Sandler. This was pretty much the peak of his career as far as I'm concerned.
2. The music OMG.
3. Drew Barrymore. She's brilliant.
4. THE HAIR.
5. The song Robbie writes Julia.
6. Wedding dress trying-on montages.
7. Billy Idol. I cannot explain how much I love the fact that he was willing to play himself in this film.
8. A string quartet version of Don't Stop Believing. Ahahaha.
9. Steve Buscemi.
10. The awful wedding dresses. This includes the bridesmaids dresses. And hell, the men's frilly shirts too.
11. Ellen Albertini Dow. Holy mother of God, is she phenomenal. And if you say you didn't like seeing a little old lady rap, then you're lying.
12. George and his one song.
13. Jon Lovitz.
15. I think of this movie every time I have to pull my elbows in on a plane so the drinks cart doesn't hit me.
16. Christine Taylor.
17. The Flock of Seagulls airline employee.
19. Glenn's Delorean.
20. Locking Glenn in the toilet on the plane.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "I don't think anybody could puke more than that kid, I think I saw a boot come out of him."
- "Aunt Linda! You're a bitch."
- "Get out of my Van Halen t-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up."
- "Sir, one more outburst, I will strangle you with my microphone wire. You understand me?"
- "Is it true you're in the middle of a nervous breakdown?" "What? No!" "Nervous breakdown! Nervous breakdown!" "Who said that?" "Everybody's been saying that." "Everybody? You're eight years old... the only people you know are your parents!"
- "He's losing his mind. And I'm reaping all the benefits..."
- "I vomited in my hair."
- "Oh my God, she made me a present. I *am* an asshole!"
- "Once again, things that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!!"
- "I got a confession to make: that song was about you."
- "Well, don't be ashamed. You know, when I got married, I wasn't a virgin. I'd already had intercourse with eight men." "Now, that's something I didn't wanna know about." "That was a lot back then; it'd be like two hundred today!"
- "I don't even know your last name." "It's Guglia." "Guglia? Oh, so Julia's last name's gonna be Guglia. Julia Guglia! That's funny!" "Why is that funny?" "I - don't know."
- "We're living in a material world and I am a material girl. Or boy..."
So, have you seen this piece of 90s genius recently? Or is it time for a rewatch??