So on Saturday afternoon, I met up with a couple of friends for lunch, far too many macarons and a trip to see Joss Whedon's latest piece of genius, Much Ado About Nothing. I'm not going to do a full in-depth analysis of it on account of a) it's still in cinemas so y'all can go see it for yourself, and b) it's Shakespeare, so everyone knows the deal.
Ten reasons why you should see Much Ado About Nothing:
1. Alexis Denisof and Amy Acker as Benedick and Beatrice. They're both absolutely FANTASTIC, having worked together before on Angel. They've got chemistry in spades, and they're surprisingly good at the comedic side of the story.
3. The swimming pool scene. Priceless.
4. Pretty much every single actor involved has worked with Whedon several times before.
5. Nathan Fillion as Dogberry. Hilarious. Same goes for Tom Lenk.
7. Clark Gregg as Leonato. I'm a little sad that Anthony Stewart Head couldn't get the time off to play the role, but Clark Gregg is a fabulous replacement.
8. The black and white works brilliantly.
9. The scene in which Benedick overhears Leonato, Claudio and Don Pedro talking about how Beatrice is in love with him. One of the most phenomenal things I've seen in a long time.
I totally lied, because here's reason 11: Sean Maher as Don John. He's a surprisingly excellent villain. One who likes cupcakes.
So. Have you seen it? If not, are you planning to? Because you really should.