When I went to see Man of Steel last week, they showed the trailer for The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug, and I fangirl flailed so hard that everyone thought I was insane. You know, just for a change. So when I was at Target yesterday and they had An Unexpected Journey on DVD for $10, I figured that it was the perfect opportunity to revisit the first part of the series. (Just don't revisit it at 10pm because you will be there FOREVER...)
Reasons why The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey is awesome:
1. Dwarfmitage. You guys know I loves me some Richard Armitage, and Nikki and I were insanely excited when we found out that he was playing Thorin. He's pretty fabulous though.
2. Martin Freeman.
3. The plates scene, especially Kili and Fili.
4. The Misty Mountains Cold.
5. The dwarves OMFG.
7. The first drawing of young Bilbo, which is half Ian Holm, half Martin Freeman. Awesomeness.
8. Ian McKellan.
9. Sneak peeks of Smaug.
11. The soundtrack.
13. I swear to God, Elijah Wood hasn't aged at ALL.
14. Fainting Bilbo.
16. Oaken shields.
17. Rabbit sleighs.
18. Sylvester McCoy. He's pretty great.
20. The scenery.
21. Stone giants.
22. Bofur's hat.
24. Gandalf's sudden appearance in Goblin Town. Awesomeness.
25. Bilbo saving Thorin.
26. The eagles. Okay, so they totally could have dropped them off CLOSER TO THE LONELY MOUNTAIN. But it's still pretty awesome.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "It's just the usual; summary of out-of-pocket expenses, time required, remuneration, funeral arrangements, so forth." "Funeral arrangements? Oh, up to but not exceeding one fourteenth total profit if any. Seems fair. Present company shall not be liable for injuries including but not limited to laceration, evisceration... incineration?" "Oh, aye. He'll melt the flesh off your bones in the blink of an eye." "You all right, laddie?" "Yeah, I'll be. Feel a bit faint." "Think furnace, with wings." "Yeah, I-I-I need air..." "Flash of light, searing pain, then poof, you're nothing more than a pile of ash!" "...No. [faints]"
- "Is he a great wizard, or is he more like you?"
- "I don't like green food." "Where's the meat?" "Have they got any chips?"
- "If Baggins loses, we eats it whole." "...Fair enough."
- "All good stories deserve embellishment."
- "I'm going on an adventure!"
- "I've got parasites as big as me arm!"
- "Do not speak to me of Radagast the Brown. He is a foolish fellow." "Well, he's odd, I'll grant you. He lives a solitary life..." "It's not that. It's his excessive consumption of mushrooms!"
- "Well, that could have been worse!" [Great Goblin falls on them] "Oh, you've GOT to be joking!"
- "Forgive me for doubting you." "No, it's fine. I would have doubted me too."
- "Is he lost?" "Yes, yes, and I want to get unlost...as soon as possible!" "Oh! We knows! We knows safe paths for hobbitses! Safe paths in the dark... SHUT UP!" "I didn't say anything..." "Wasn't talking to you!"
- "I would take each and every one of these dwarves over the mightiest army."
So. On a scale of one to Bofur when he successfully throws an egg into Bombur's mouth, how excited are you about The Desolation of Smaug coming out in December?