Today's movie and I have a very long relationship. In fact, I saw this on my 16th birthday, followed by dinner at Planet Hollywood, because I'm cool like that. I must have watched it at least a dozen times since then, because it's awesome and you cannot convince me otherwise.
Reasons why She's All That is awesome:
1. The dance routine at prom. It's rare that a non-musical will have the entire cast spontaneously break into a choreographed dance routine. Plus, this one's fabulous.
2. Freddie Prinze Jr. This was the start of his peak period of fame and while, personally, I prefer him in Head Over Heels (at least partly because his character has a Great Dane named Hamlet), he's a pretty great teen heart throb type here.
3. Stereotypical makeover scenes.
4. Rachael Leigh Cook.
5. Who doesn't love a modern adaptation of Pygmalion?!
6. Kieran Culkin. He's a total highlight for me.
8. The insane interpretive dance/art show thing that Laney drags Zack to.
9. The notion that, 14 years after it was released, pre-makeover Laney would be considered far cooler than the so-called cool kids.
10. Rapping about prom queen candidates.
11. Anna Paquin. It's so totally unlike her role as Sookie Stackhouse, and she's kind of great.
13. Matthew Lillard. His character is the ACTUAL WORST, as so many of Matthew Lillard's characters are. But he does it so well.
14. Sneaky references to Hanson. No, seriously.
15. Felafel hats.
17. Paul Walker. LOL.
18. Air horns.
19. The DJ who runs the school's radio station? That's Usher.
20. Sarah Michelle Gellar cameos. Awesomeness.
22. Pagers. LOL.
23. Brock's insane dancing. OMG.
24. Taylor's hideous prom dress. SO UGLY OMG.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Sometimes when you open up to people, you let the bad in with the good."
- "She kinda blew me off..." "I like her already."
- "Sir, have you reached a decision?" "Yes. Supersize my balls."
- "What is this, some kind of dork outreach program?"
- "I did not wig!" "Oh, there was MAJOR wiggage."
- "I could win this thing in fluorescent lighting on the first day of my period, cloaked in T.J. Maxx."
- "So, Laney, I was wondering if you wanted to...embarrass me horribly in front of all these people..."
- "Hoover it!"
- "I feel just like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Except for that whole hooker thing..."
- "I am uninviting you!" "You're not the boss of him."
- "I've seen you in gym class, you run like a girl." "I AM a girl."
- "Not even an M&M's worth of fun?"
- "His dad owns Harrison Ford." "The actor?" "No. The car dealership."
- "Do you realise how lucky you are? You can go to Dartmouth, you can go to NYU, you can go to Borneo and study squid fishing! The point is, you're 18 and that's old enough to start making your own choices."
- "So that's a no?" "That's a HELL no."