A while back, I saw a post on Tumblr that consisted of a photo from this week's movie and a caption along the lines of "As if Marilyn Monroe couldn't get any cooler, here she is hanging out with drag queens!". And I was like "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllll.........you're sort of right??"
Reasons why Some Like It Hot is awesome:
1. It was made in 1959 and set in 1929, and yet features all manner of wibbly wobbly gender bendy cross-dressing craziness. Which not a single character bats an eyelid at.
2. Jack Lemmon. He's FANTASTIC. And has an Oscar nomination to prove it.
4. It was banned in Kansas. Anything banned in Kansas has to be worth watching!
5. Marilyn Monroe. It seems like she had a ton of issues going on when they were filming this, and she's still amazingly adorable.
6. The tango scene.
8. Joe E. Brown as Osgood. Hilarious.
9. The ending. It's absolutely perfect.
10. Smuggling booze in coffins.
12. Tony Curtis impersonating Cary Grant. Perfection.
13. It's written and directed by Billy Wilder, who's also responsible for The Seven Year Itch, Sabrina and Sunset Boulevard.
14. Spats and fedoras.
15. Marilyn's ridiculous costumes.
|Who thought a see-through dress with spangly nipples was a good idea?!|
17. It was nominated for six Oscars, and won one.
18. Joan Shawlee as Sweet Sue.
19. Playing the double bass backwards due to distraction.
20. Jack Lemmon's girl laugh.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Real diamonds! They must be worth their weight in gold!"
- "Hey, these are real diamonds!" "Of course they're real! What do you think? My fiance is a bum?"
- "What are you afraid of? No-one's asking you to have a baby!"
- "Story of my life. I always get the fuzzy end of the lollipop."
- "Will you look at that! Look how she moves! It's like Jell-O on springs."
- "Now you've done it! Now you have done it!" "Done what?" "You tore off one of my chests!"
- "But, you're *not* a girl! You're a *guy*, and, why would a guy wanna marry a guy?" "Security!"
- "We're up the creek and you want to hock the paddle!"
- "Something tells me the omelette is about to hit the fan!"
- "Ohhhhhhh no. Not tonight, Josephine!"
- "I don't want you to think I'm a drinker. I can stop any time I want to. Only I don't want to."
- "I'm a girl. I wish I were dead."
- "I am Osgood Fielding the third." "I'm Cinderella the second."
- "You shave with your spats on?" "I SLEEP with my spats on."
- "How DO they walk in these things?!"
- "I don't care how rich he is, as long as he has a yacht, his own private railroad car, and his own toothpaste."
- "It's not how long you wait, it's who you're waiting for."
- "What is it?" "It's a member of the herring family." "A herring? Isn't it amazing how they get those big fish into those little glass jars?" "They shrink when they're marinated."
- "This is my friend Daphne, she's a Vassar girl." "I'm a what?" "Or was it Bryn Mawr?" "I heard a very sad story about a girl that went to Bryn Mawr. She squealed on her roommate... and they found her strangled with her own brassiere!" "Yes, we've got to be very careful who we choose for a roommate..."
- "Well, nobody's perfect!"
So. Have you seen it? Do you love it?