This one's been a long time coming - I mentioned to That One English Teacher a couple of weeks ago that I needed to cover it at some point, and apparently I've decided that "some point" = NOW.
Reasons why Centre Stage is awesome:
1. BALLET. I loves me a dance movie, but I love ballet movies in particular. Probably because I kinda wanted to do ballet as a kid but never did.
2. The music. Not only is there brilliant classical stuff, but there's also Jamiroquai, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Michael Jackson.
3. Amanda Schull. She's brilliant as Jody.
5. Zoe Saldana. She's fantastic. And mouthy.
6. That it doesn't romanticise dancing. There are injuries, mangled feet, sweat and eating disorders aplenty.
7. The pirouettes at the end of Cooper's ballet. That's hella impressive, y'all. (Skip to the 2 minute mark for the pirouettes, but you should really watch the whole thing)
8. A montage of nothing but breaking in pointe shoes.
9. Eion Bailey as Jim. He's kind of adorkable. (In a somewhat stalker-y way.....)
10. Cooper's ballet. It's phenomenal, if a little too personal.
11. Ethan Stiefel as Cooper Nielson. Sure, Cooper's a total asshat, but the movie wouldn't even remotely be the same without him. Besides, he's an incredible dancer.
|Good Lord, that grand jete!! Source.|
13. Peter Gallagher, otherwise known as He Of The Impressive Eyebrows. We named a whole scale after them over on Snark Squad.
14. RED POINTE SHOES.
15. Onstage costume changes. It's like Eurovision, only classy.
16. Attempting to dance still drunk and just ending up giggling hysterically.
17. Charlie and Cooper's little dance-off in the studio.
18. The costumes for the various performances.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "My stage name is Eric O. Jones. After Oprah. She's my idol."
- "Did you see how *on* I was tonight??
- "Come downstairs, it's Marlboro Country."
- "I am your slave." "I'd believe it more if you weren't staring at your fucking reflection when you said it." "If someone wants to hear profanity, Miss Rodriguez, they can take a subway. They don't need to spend sixty dollars on a ballet ticket... Though she has a point."
- "What, did you go to a special bitch academy or something?"
- "What a prick." "But he was really nice about it." "Being nice when you say something pricky is even prickier."
- "I do ballet because it has nothing to do with the people. Give me tiaras and boys in tights any day."
- "Careful with that one. You break it, you bought it!"
- "You are in big trouble." "She's in my ballet." "Oh please... she's a heartbeat away from tattooing your name on her ass."
- "You feel the difference?" "Felt like the same old shit to me."
On a scale from 1 to "why the hell can't *I* balance my full body weight on my toes??", how much do you love this movie?