I was at a barbeque for a decent chunk of yesterday evening. And after being sociable for several hours and squeeing like a lunatic fangirl over the unexpected appearance of a black Labrador guide dog puppy, I got home to a list of Movie Monday ideas that all required far too much brain ability. Obviously, I turned to Marvel because awesomeness, sass, and explosions require much less in the way of cognitive power than, say, The Shawshank Redemption or Interview with the Vampire. You know?
Reasons why X-Men First Class is awesome:
1. James McAvoy. Not only is he great, it's nice to see Xavier as something more than the super-smart dude in a wheelchair.
2. The opening scene between mini-Xavier and mini-Mystique.
3. Michael Fassbender. He's pretty brilliant.
|Gun hovering BAMF. Also, source.|
5. Jennifer Lawrence. Homegirl needs to become my best friend already.
6. Xavier doing a yard glass. I mean, COME ON. That's freaking awesome.
7. Hugh Jackman's cameo
9. The costumes.
10. Smashing up ships with anchors.
11. Nicholas Hoult.
14. Showing off their powers.
15. Training montages. Who doesn't love a good training montage?!
16. Floating submarines.
Plus, the following quotes:
-"There's so much more to you than you know, not just pain and anger. There's good in you too, and you can harness all that. You have a power that no one can match, not even me."
- "I'm going to use an asset the CIA didn't issue me."
- "Excuse me, I'm Erik Lehnsherr." "Charles Xavier." "Go fuck yourself."
- "Are you sure we can't shave your head?" "Don't touch my hair!"
- "You truly believe I'll fly this time?" "Unreservedly." "I trust you." "I'm touched." "I don't trust him." "Say nothing." "I'm gonna die!" "Alright. Look, we're not gonna make you do anything without..." "Here, let me help you." "Erik!" "What? You know you were thinking the same."
- "More tea, vicar?"
- "You are an exquisite creature, Raven. All your life the world has tried to tame you. It's time for you to be free."
- "Honestly, Charles. I don't know how you survived, living in such...hardship."
- "Mother. What are you... I thought you were a burglar." "I didn't mean to scare you darling. I was just getting a snack. Go back to bed. What's the matter? Go on, back to bed.I I'll make you a hot chocolate." "Who are you? And what have you done with my mother? My mother has never set foot in this kitchen in her life. And she certainly never made me a hot chocolate. Unless you count ordering the maid to do it."
- "It's a very groovy mutation."
- "I don't want to hurt you, Erik. I never did. I want to help you. This is our time. Our age. We are the future of the human race. You and me, son. This world could be ours." "Everything you did make me stronger. It made me the weapon I am today. It's the truth. I've known it all along. You are my creator."
So. Are you waiting with baited breath for the next installments of X-Men? Or are you more excited about the forthcoming Avengers movies - Iron Man 3 and Thor 2? If you prefer DC Comics to Marvel, you should probably just leave quietly...