I have an irrationally large soft spot for today's installment. I'm fully aware that it's quite terrible, and yet I will love it forever. I think in the year that she was in Australia, Sara and I watched it about five times. One of which was on her MP3 player in the car at Cataract Gorge in Launceston because it was pissing with rain and we had an hour and a half to kill before we had to head for the airport. Good times...
Reasons why Music and Lyrics is awesome:
1. The opening hilariously 80s music video.
2. Hugh Grant. He totally takes the piss out of himself in this, and he's fabulous. Plus, he's incredibly sarcastic.
3. The songs. I mean, come on. They're genius.
4. Drew Barrymore.
6. Brad Garett.
7. Trading outfits in the bathroom to one-up a douchey ex-boyfriend.
8. Cora. She's hilariously awful.
|Actual lyric from a Cora song. Source|
10. The lyricist. OMG.
11. Ridiculous moving statues on the stairs at Cora's party.
12. Kristen Johnston. Quite possibly my favourite part of this movie. She's brilliant.
14. Rhonda piling mashed potatoes onto Alex's plate.
15. Alex teaching Sophie's niece and nephew has to do Pop! dance moves.
16. Matthew Morrison as Cora's manager. LOL FOREVER.
18. The song Alex writes for Sophie.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Why do you have a plant lady? Why do you even have plants?" "Because, from time to time, ladies accompany me back to the apartment and one of them once mentioned that plants make women comfortable." "Is that true? Plants make women comfortable? Well, maybe if I had plants I'd still be married." "Yes, I think that was the problem; not Susan's affair and raging nymphomania but your lack of vegetation."
- "Just hold that thinly veiled insult for one second."
- "Sleeping with a clown above my bed... "Clown" is not right..." "That's "cloud." Why would you put a clown in your bed?" "It would not be the first time."
- "The best time I've had in the last fifteen years was sitting at that piano with you." "That's wonderfully sensitive... especially from a man who wears such tight pants." "It forces all the blood to my heart."
- "My face is in the butter..."
- "Are you trying to tell me that you enjoyed that orgasm set to the "Gandhi" soundtrack?"
- "Just a little bit louder, because this song is intended for humans, okay? Way Back Into Love, take two."
- "Are you OK?" "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. It's just my Pop! hip. It comes from years of doing our patented dance move. My God, I've suffered for my art."
- "Well, that's just ridiculous. Nobody grows up in Florida, unless they're an orange."
- "You should get some ice on that." "Only if it's attached to some whisky."
- "She wants to know if we like wheatgrass." "Sounds ominous..."
- "I wanna show you the roof. It's upstairs!"