So my uterus tried to persuade me to watch Schindler's List, The Shawshank Redemption, Gladiator and the end of Doctor Who season 2 this weekend. Considering all of the above make me ugly cry like a maniac, and this only makes me ugly cry like a deranged hormonal lunatic, we compromised and went with this:
Reasons why Moulin Rouge is awesome:
1. Ewan McGregor.
3. Nicole Kidman.
4. The music. From Queen to Nirvana to David Bowie to Sting to Madonna to KISS to Elton John, all in the one movie? I mean, come on. That's freaking awesome.
5. Jim Broadbent. He's phenomenal.
7. The random cameo by Tara Morice at the start. (She played Fran in Strictly Ballroom)
8. Oh my God, ALL THE FEELS.
9. Actual historical figures as characters. What up, Toulouse-Lautrec?
11. Caroline O'Connor.
12. The elephant.
13. Satine's entrance on the trapeze.
15. Consumption. What can I say, I'm a history nerd...
16. Tom Baker-esque scarves. This is especially awesome, as apparently the Fourth Doctor's scarf was inspired by a Toulouse-Lautrec painting.
18. Richard Roxburgh. Even though about half his acting is with his hair...
19. That tango.
20. The sets. They're incredible.
21. John Leguizamo. He's phenomenal, and needed a bunch of physical therapy after they finished filming from spending the entire movie crouching down.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
- "What's his type? Wilting flower? Bright and bubbly? Or smoldering temptress?" "I'd say... smoldering temptress."
- "Christian, you may see me only as a drunken, vice-ridden gnome whose friends are just pimps and girls from the brothels. But I know about art and love, if only because I long for it with every fibre of my being."
- "Use your talent to save him! Hurt him, Satine. Hurt him to save him. There is no other way. The show must go on. We are creatures of the underworld. We can't afford to love."
- "Oh no. I forgot my line."
- "You're going to be bad for business. I can tell."
- "A little supper? Maybe some champagne?" "I'd rather, um, just get it over and done with." "Hmph. Oh. Very well. Then why don't you come down here and let's get it over and done with." "I prefer to do it standing." "Oh." "You don't have to stand, I mean. It's sometimes that... It's quite long and I'd like you to be comfortable. It's quite modern what I do and it may feel a little strange at first, but I think, if you're open, then you might enjoy it."
- "Then I'll write a song and we'll put it in the show and whenever you sing it or hear it. Or whistle or hum it then you'll know. It'll mean that we love one another."
- "It's not that I'm not a jealous man. I just don't like other people TOUCHING MY THINGS."
- "Please tell me you're not one of Toulouse's oh so talented, charmingly bohemian, tragically impoverished writers?"
- "Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof. He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun."
So. How many ugly cries does it make you cry?