Happy (belated) Australia Day, kids! In honour of the occasion, I thought I'd rewatch one of the most fantastic Australian movies ever: The Castle. If you haven't seen it, you need to find a copy. Like, right now.
Reasons why The Castle is awesome:
1. Stephen Curry. He's perfect as Dale, the narrator of the story.
3. Steve's hilarious inventions.
4. Michael Caton.
6. Stealing gates.
7. Eric Bana. It's his first film role, and he's hilarious - he plays a tracksuit wearing kickboxer.
|Check out the kickboxing cake topper! Also, source.|
9. Sal's hilarious crafts.
10. Bud Tingwell as the QC who comes to the rescue.
12. Dennis writing notes to Lawrence in the High Court.
13. Anne Tenney as Sal. Perfection.
14. Moving the Cortina to get to Camina to get to the Torana to get to the Commodore.
15. The ridiculously sidetrack-y questions that Dale always asks.
16. Dennis' total incompetence in Federal Court. It's all about Mabo y'all.
18. They filmed the entire thing in eleven days with a budget of $19,000. It made over $10,000,000 at the box office.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Tell em...to get stuffed."
- "This is going straight to the pool room."
- "He say plane fly overhead, drop value. I don't care. In Beirut, plane fly over, drop bomb. I like these planes."
- "Mum said it was funny how one day you're not famous, and the next day you are. Famous. And then you're not again."
- "And what Law are you basing this argument on?' "The Law of bloody common sense!"
- "It's the vibe of the thing..."
- "Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck."
- "Dad? I dug another hole! It's filling with water..."
- "I tell him you have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your car and blow you to fucking sky!" "What did he do?" "He get scared and he leave!" "I bet he did!" "I don't really have friend like this but people think all Arab have bomb." "You're a bloody ripper, Farouk! That's fuckin' fantastic!"
- "Now here back: all landfill. Not allowed to build there." "Has the soil been tested?" "Oh yeah, nothing too serious in there... what do you know about lead?"
- 'Well hello. How's this boys. Woo hoo. What'd you call this?" "Chicken." "And it's got something sprinkled on it..." "Seasoning." "Seasoning! Looks like everybody's kicked a goal."
- "It's a motorcycle helmet with a built in brake light." "You...are an ideas man, Steve."
- "We're goin' to Bonnie Doon. We're GOIN' to Bonnie Doon. WE'RE GOIN' TO BONNIE DOON!" "Darl'..."
- "How's the serenity?"
- "Dad... Guy's selling a pair of joustin' sticks." "Joustin' sticks? What's he want for 'em?" "Make us an offer" "Darl, what do you want with jousting sticks??" "I dunno. But I reckon they wouldn't come up all that often." "Yeah, but they're JOUSTING STICKS. What would ANYONE want with jousting sticks??" "Well, if you get 'em for half price, it's a bargain!" "Give him a call?" "Yeah!"
- "Dad? $450!" "For joustin' sticks?? Tell him he's dreaming!"
- "Dad reckons there's only one show better than Hey Hey It's Saturday. And that's the Best of Hey Hey It's Saturday."
- "Jenny makes fake flowers." "Jenny?" "Yeah." "Jenny Jenny?" "No, Microwave Jenny."
- "Bad luck...ya dickhead."
- "Hey Steve, can you move the Camira? I need to get the Torana out so I can get to the Commodore." "Sure thing Dad, but I'll have to get the keys to the Cortina if I'm gonna move that Camira." "Alright mate, just watch the boat."
- "Suffer in ya jocks!"
Seriously, if you want to understand Australia and Australians? You should watch The Castle.