On Saturday afternoon, I took myself off to Ikea in search of cheap picture frames. And as a reward to get me through the torment of going to Ikea on a Saturday afternoon, I followed it up with a little trip to the movies to see The Avengers. First of all, going to Ikea on a Saturday afternoon is a) a terrible idea, and b) an advertisement for remaining childless. SO. MANY. SCREAMING. CHILDREN. Anyway, the point is this: if you go to Ikea on a Saturday afternoon, make sure you have a reward planned for yourself so that you actually GO to Ikea as planned.
So considering The Avengers hasn't even come out in the US yet (land of the free, my butt!), I'm going to hold back on all the spoilers (you're welcome - all the quotes are from the trailer) and just tell you why you should go and see it.
1. It's completely and utterly amazing. I loved every second of it, even though I was trapped between a group of 13 year old boys, and a guy who took his shoes off, fell asleep and snored through the whole movie.
2. It's written and directed by Joss Whedon. JOSS WHEDON!!! And don't write it off if you're not a fan of Buffy/Firefly/Angel/Dollhouse - Whedon also wrote the screenplay for Toy Story.
3. Robert Downey Jr. He's brilliant. And I'm pretty sure Joss Whedon should ALWAYS write for him, because the two of them together was solid gold.
5. "Big man in a suit of armour. Take that away, what are you?" "Uh...genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist?"
6. The Hulk is actually awesome, contrary to what's happened in the Hulk movies made up until now. And Mark Ruffalo is great as Bruce Banner.
7. Tom Hiddleston is once again amazing as the ever so slightly bonkers megalomaniac, Loki.
9. "Doctor Banner, your work is unparalleled. And I'm a big fan of the way you lose control and turn into an enormous green rage monster." "Uh...thanks."
10. Jeremy Renner with a bow and arrows.
11. Scarlett Johansson kicking arse and taking names. Well. Mostly just kicking arse.
13. Massive explosions and giant alien space beasties.
14. "If we can't protect the Earth, you can be damned sure we'll avenge it."
15. A shit ton of opportunities for bicep appreciation:
If you've seen it, what did you think (HI KIM!)? If you live in America, are you excited about the release?