You guys, I can't believe it's taken me this long to cover a Harry Potter movie. I honestly don't know if I could pick a favourite Harry Potter movie (although let's be honest - Half-Blood Prince is at the bottom), so I figured I'd go with the most authentic to the books and start at the beginning!
And yes, America, it's PHILOSOPHER'S Stone. Deal with it.
Reasons why Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is awesome:
1. Daniel Radcliffe. He's so freaking tiny and adorable, and SO COMPLETELY HARRY.
2. Hogwarts. I want to go to there (seriously, my owl must have gotten really freaking lost).
4. The scene at the zoo. Brilliant.
5. Maggie Smith. I kinda want to be McGonagall when I grow up.
6. Diagon Alley. Perfection.
7. Richard Harris. SO inconsiderate of him to die and leave us with Michael Gambon as Dumbledore...
9. Rupert Grint. You guys know full well that Ron's my favourite, and Rupert is fantastic.
10. The Mirror of Erised. I love that they included the inscription around the top.
11. Emma Watson. For someone who'd never done any acting before, she's pretty phenomenal.
13. Tom Felton. I have an irrational soft spot for Mini!Draco.
15. Matthew Lewis. He's great as Neville.
16. Moving staircases.
17. Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid. Genius.
19. Nearly Headless Nick. The ghosts get almost completely ignored in the later movies, so it's nice to see him included here.
20. The Sorting Hat.
22. Playing life sized wizards' chess.
23. Seamus blowing shit up.
26. The flying keys.
27. Ron teaching Harry about wizard sweets on the train.
28. The Hogwarts Express and Platform 9 3/4
30. The owls attempting to deliver Harry's Hogwarts letter.
31. Dudley. He's got an almost nonexistent role in the later films, but he's PERFECT here.
32. The soundtrack. You hear more than two seconds of it and you can't help but smile.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours - red hair and a hand-me-down robe. You must be a Weasley."
- "That thing has a name???"
- "Troooooooooooll!! In the dungeons!! Troll in the dungeons! Thought you ought to know."
- "That's totally barbaric!" "That's wizard's chess."
- "Bless my soul, it's Harry Potter!"
- "You've got dirt on your nose, by the way. Did you know?"
- "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks."
- "It's Levi-Ohhhhh-sa, not Levio-SAH."
- "Yer a wizard, Harry!!" "I'm a what??"
- "Dry up Dursley, you great prune!"
- "She needs to sort out her priorities!"
- "What happened down in the dungeon between you and Professor Quirrell is a complete secret. So naturally, the whole school knows."
- "Stop moving, both of you. This is devil's snare! You have to relax. If you don't, it'll only kill you faster!" "Kill us faster? Oh, now I can relax!"
- "Scared, Harry?" "A little." "That's all right. I felt the same way before my first game." "What happened?" "I uh, I don't really remember. I took a bludger to the head two minutes in. Woke up in hospital a week later."
- "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends."
- "Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, turn this stupid, fat rat yellow!"
- "I checked this out weeks ago for a bit of light reading." "This is light?"
- "Wait 'til my father hears about this! This is servants' stuff!"
- "People will think you're...UP to something."
So. Which is your favourite Harry Potter movie?