While catching up on Glee last week (yesIwatchGleeshutupit'saguiltypleasure), I realised that it had been about a millionty years since I watched Grease. And considering I got the soundtrack on CD for my 14th birthday and used to listen to it practically every day, I felt that it was time I rectified the lack of watching I've done in recent years.
|I have no idea what is going on with the eyebrows here. Source|
Reasons why Grease is awesome:
1. The opening credits.
2. THE MUSIC OH MY GOD THE MUSIC. I dare you not to sing along.
3. John Travolta attempting to play an 18 year old (he was 23).
5. The hair.
6. The cars.
8. Blanche and the Principal. They're HILARIOUS.
9. The costumes.
10. Stockard Channing. I don't even care that she's a 33 year old woman playing an 18 year old high school senior. There is no one else who could have played Rizzo as brilliantly as she does.
12. The sleepover scene. It's my favourite.
13. Frenchy's pink hair.
14. Jan at the dance. LOLTASTIC.
15. How hilariously long the cheerleaders' skirts are.
17. OH MY GOD, HOW ON EARTH DID OUR PARENTS LET US WATCH THIS MOVIE?!?!?!?! It's so insanely smutty.
18. The buckets of crazy that is the Teen Angel scene.
19. The Pink Ladies.
21. The utter ridiculousness of 'Hopelessly Devoted to You'. I mean, she's singing to a piece of paper in a paddling pool.
22. The T-Birds.
23. The entirety of 'You're the One that I Want'.
25. The hilariously random flying car at the end.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "I've got so many hickeys people will think I'm a leper." "Relax... A hickey from Kenickie's like a Hallmark card: when you care enough to send the very best."
- "The only thing that hangs around you, Sonny, are the flies."
- "Blanche, do you have the new schedules?" "Yes, I just had my hands on them." "Oh, good. They'll be nice and smudged."
- "You're cruisin' for a bruisin'."
- "Too bad his brains are in his biceps!"
- "I don't look at it as dropping out. I look at it as a very strategic career move!"
- "What's with you tonight?" "I feel like a defective typewriter." "Huh?" "I skipped a period!"
- "Hey, Marty, are those new glasses?" "Oh, yeah, I just got 'em for school. Don't you think they make me look smarter?" "Nah, you can still see your face!"
- "That is the ugliest looking thing I ever saw."
- "Oh, I'm not very hungry. Just gimme a double Polar Burger with everything, and a cherry soda with chocolate ice cream."
- "Sandy, you just can't walk out of a drive-in!"
- "Twinkies and wine? Oh, that's real class, Jan." "It says right here, it's a dessert wine!"
- "Are you making fun of me, Riz?" "Some people are so touchy."
- "What did she give him?" "A lock of hair. From her chest."
- "Doody, how do I look?" "Like a beautiful blonde pineapple!"
- "We have pictures of you so-called mooners. And just because the pictures aren't of your faces doesn't mean we can't identify you. At this very moment those pictures are on their way to Washington where the FBI has experts in this type of identification. If you turn yourselves in now, you may escape a Federal charge."
- "Don't worry about it, Sandy. If she screws up, she can always fix your hair so your ears don't show!"
- "Tell me about it, stud."
Okay, so it has a pretty terrible message to young girls. But it's just so much freaking fun!