So on Saturday night, I got a message from Ness asking if I wanted help watching the movie for this week. Except that I was still busy being all kinds of vague, so I hadn't actually picked it yet. Clearly, Ness was in the mood for a Christmas movie, because in the course of deciding on a movie, this happened:
Ness: So I haven't watched Love Actually yet this year...
Me: I did that last year...
Ness: What about The Holiday?
Me: Uuuuuuugh, Cameron Diaz...
Ness: But...Jude Law??
Me: But CAMERON DIAZ...
Ness: Oooh, Muppet's Christmas Carol!
Me: Bah humbug. Maybe closer to Christmas. Dirty Dancing?
Ness: It's ALWAYS time for Dirty Dancing!!
And so it came to pass that we watched Dirty Dancing for the five millionth time and I was successfully able to pretend Christmas isn't happening.
Reasons why Dirty Dancing is awesome:
1. Jennifer Grey. It's one of the world's great travesties that she got a nose job and removed all her personality. She's completely perfect as Baby.
3. Baby's epic awkwardness when she first walks into the staff quarters - see above!
4. Patrick Swayze. Holy Hell, is he spectacular here.
6. Jerry Orbach as Mr. Houseman. It's weird to see him as anything other than Lennie Briscoe, but I love him in this.
7. Practicing the lifts.
9. Baby's sister, Lisa. She reminds me a lot of Cordelia from Buffy for some reason.
10. The big finale.
12. Johnny lip-syncing along with "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" at the end.
13. The two crazy old people who steal wallets.
14. Penny. She's kind of awesome. And terrifyingly flexible...
16. The costumes. Equal parts awesome and hilarious.
17. The scene in rehearsals where Baby keeps cracking up laughing. Especially seeing as it was a genuine reaction from Jennifer Grey and wasn't meant to be in the movie.
19. Baby practicing her dance steps as she leaves the staff area.
Plus, the following lines:
- "Nobody puts Baby in a corner."
- "Oh, come on, ladies! God wouldn't have given you maracas if he didn't want you to shake 'em!"
- "Where is my beige iridescent lipstick?!"
- "That little wimp. He wouldn't know a new idea if it hit him in the pachenga!"
- "God, I am so sick of this rain. Remind me not to take my honeymoon at Niagara Falls." "So you go to Acapulco it'll be fine!"
- "Max, our Baby's gonna change the world!" "And what are you gonna do, missy?" "Oh, Lisa's going to decorate it."
- "I have to say it. I'm known as the catch of the county." "I'm sure you are." "But, last week, I took a girl from Jamie, the lifeguard. And he said to her, right in front of me, "What does he have that I don't have?" And she said, "Two hotels.""
- "Sorry for the interruption, folks, but I always do the last dance of the season. This year somebody told me not to. So I'm gonna do my kind of dancin' with a great partner, who's not only a terrific dancer, but somebody... who's taught me... that there are people willing to stand up for other people no matter what it costs them. Somebody who's taught me about the kind of person I wanna be. Miss Frances Houseman."
- "Look, spaghetti arms. This is my dance space. This is your dance space. I don't go into yours, you don't go into mine. You gotta hold the frame."
- "I carried a watermelon."
I would ask if you love it, but if you don't, I'm not sure we can be friends...