I first saw today's installment back in high school. I'd never even heard of it before, but I loved every second of it. Plus, it serves as a nice reminder that Mel Gibson wasn't always the bonkers douchecanoe he is today!
Reasons why Maverick is awesome:
1. Mel Gibson. He's brilliant in this.
2. Maverick's donkey.
3. Alfred Molina. He's a fantastic bad guy.
5. Jodie Foster. She. Is. Hilarious.
6. The staged fight fifteen minutes in.
7. The soundtrack.
8. Grahame Greene. I think he's my favourite thing about this movie.
10. Conning everyone by speaking with the Native Americans in their language.
11. James Garner. He was the original Maverick, so it was only fitting that he make an appearance in this.
12. The costumes.
13. Danny Glover's cameo. PHENOMENAL.
15. The bank robbery scene.
16. Maverick trying to chase his horse down in the desert while dragging a tree branch behind him with a wad of money in his mouth.
17. Picking the perfect card out of the deck.
19. Throwing cheaters overboard.
20. Maverick climbing from his room to the poker table.
21. When Annabel gets so excited about how many chips she's won that she falls off her chair.
22. The ending.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Calm down, I don't want to go to bed with you, lady!" "Why not?" "Why...why not?? I'd be too frightened! God knows what parts of me you'd steal. I'd wake up with all sorts of things missing!"
- "I figure it's their fault for being on our land before we got here."
- "I could get back my wedding dress what I was going to have for when I found a husband!"
- "I suppose somebody ought to say something nice about the deceased." "How do you know he was nice? We don't know anything about him! The only thing he's got in his wallet is a bunch of names of whorehouses..."
- "I'm getting too old for this shit."
- "If I can't touch you, I can touch your shirt and dream."
- "From the moment I slapped eyes on this hombre, I smelled trouble. And refried beans."
- "Pa, this man wants to know if you want to buy a burro." "That burro aren't worth a dollar!" "Well, sir, I say you got yourself a deal."
- "Damned thing won't stay in the holster!"
- "I'd rather be rich than dead."
- "Oh, you sure do pick the spots!" "Yeah, I know. You know, the next time you people come and drive us off our land, I"m gonna find a nice piece of swamp that's so Godawful, maybe then you'll leave us the hell alone!"
- "Well, he don't eat much, but he's a regular jackass, and hee-haw hee-haw hee-halways likes to be called Arthur."
Have you seen it?