Today's installment is one of my favourite movies, and one that not a lot of people have seen. It's a lot like Empire Records - full of oddball characters with all kinds of issues - except set in a sandwich shop in Santa Cruz. And it's FANTASTICALLY BRILLIANT. And, much like The Decoy Bride, it got released straight to DVD and didn't get the recognition it deserves.
Reasons why Ten Inch Hero is awesome:
1. Jensen Ackles. Priestly is a brilliant character, and Jensen Ackles is PERFECT in this role.
3. Priestly's entry dance.
5. Danneel Harris. She's great as Tish.
7. The help sign in the window of the sandwich shop - "'Normal' people need not apply".
8. All of Priestly's t-shirts.
10. The tampon shopping scene.
12. Tish and Priestly's real names.
15. Making a fool of the douchey customer who yells at Jen.
16. Piper and Noah.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Yeah, they're soul mates, except she's not exactly aware of it yet."
- "Don't be afraid to be bold."
- "Sorry. Just living vicariously. Ignore me."
- "You know, Priestly, Piper thinks Elvis is dead." "Really?? Now you're hiring people who fail the interview?!"
- "Alright, so we have chocolate, sleeping bags, food, personal items, chocolate, money, chocolate, and beer." "Do you think we have enough chocolate?" "I'll add it."
- "There's too many enemy tampons."
- "Girls that look like you don't understand."
- "If this turns out to be the ashes of Zo's first husband, I'm gonna freak."
- "Poor Julia has to walk home with Bradley. And then she's forced to stay with him for forty. Five. Whole. Minutes. until I get there." "You're a terrible father." "I gotta give her something to tell the therapist in ten years!"
- "Does anyone else think that Trucker might have some 'splainin' to do?"
- "Well, eggs are really a chicken abortion, aren't they? I support a woman's right to choose, but I don't think anyone asked the chickens beforehand." "Right on!" "Well, actually, since farmers don't keep roosters, the eggs aren't fertilised, so technically you're just eating a byproduct of the hen's menstrual cycle." "Oh, that's certainly appetising. A-a hen period salad, that's...lovely."
Apparently it's available on Netflix, so you should all go and watch it immediately! (Sorry, Australia. You'll have to do things the old fashioned way and rent it on DVD...)