You guys, I just finished the first day of my internship/work placements/thing, so I'm a little braindead. Apologies if this entire post ends up making no sense...
Today's installment is brilliant. Yes, it differs dramatically from the book (probably for the sake of the rating), but it's still completely fantastic.
Reasons why Stardust is awesome:
1. It's Neil Gaiman. He's a genius.
2. Wheeeeeeeeee, secret worlds!!!
3. Claire Danes. She's fantastic.
5. Michelle Pfeiffer. There are no words for how brilliant she is in this.
6. A flying pirate ship.
8. The old man beating Tristan up when he tries to cross the wall.
9. Mark Strong.
10. Robert de Niro. Holy hell, he is my favourite thing about this movie. HANDS DOWN.
12. Ricky Gervais. Apparently he ad libbed half his lines.
13. The ghost princes. They're brilliant.
15. The voodoo doll of Septimus.
16. Charlie Cox.
18. The coronation ceremony.
19. The witches' palace/house/thing.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Nothing says romance like the gift of an injured, kidnapped woman!"
- "You'd better be telling the truth, you two faced dog." "I can get you one of them, actually. Very good guard dogs. They can watch the back and the front door at the same time."
- "We're in the crater, this must be where it fell." "Yeah, this is where it fell. It is, or if you want to be really specific, up there is where this weird bloody necklace came out of nowhere and knocked it out of the heavens where it was minding its own business!"
- "I'd go to Africa and bring up back a diamond as big as your fist."
- "Murdered by pirates. Heart torn out and eaten. Meet Victoria. I can't decide which sounds more fun."
- "Yvaine, I have some lovely dresses, take your pick." "I'm fine." "Honey. You're wearing a bathrobe."
- "What do stars do? They shine."
- "A philosopher once asked 'Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we're human?'. Pointless, really. 'Do they gaze back?' Now THAT'S a question."
Have you seen it? Do you love it? If not, why not?