That's right, it's Dark Angel time! In case you never saw Dark Angel, the premise is this: a mysterious government agency was creating genetically enhanced children to be super-soldiers. Twelve of them broke out, and ended up scattered across the US. Then, in 2009, an electromagnetic pulse went off, and knocked out all electronic equipment, throwing the US back into the dark ages. Ten years later, Max - one of the escaped children - is working as a bike courier in Seattle, and all kinds of shit goes down.
Luckily for all of you, I didn't have NEARLY as many thoughts about it as I did about The X-Files, and unlike Dawson's Creek, it only ran for two seasons, so in comparison to my past spiels, this one's going to be short.
- Max is a badass, and Jessica Alba is PERFECT in the role.
- It's really weird seeing Michael Weatherly as anything but Tony DiNozzo now.
- Logan has really stupid glasses and irritating hair.
- I find it hilarious that the Pulse happened in 2009, but all the technology is 1999-esque. I wouldn't have a problem if they inserted something like "It sure does suck that the only technology that wasn't affected was the stuff that was ten years old when the Pulse hit". But nope. Massive computer monitors, floppy discs, and pagers abound!
- I love how the spot where Max goes to think is the top of the Space Needle.
- JENSEN ACKLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Original Cindy is fantastic.
- It's almost enough to redeem James Cameron for the snorefest that is Titanic.
- I'm kind of curious about why they suddenly got rid of Lydecker's character.
- Logan rapidly becomes a holier-than-thou irritation. No single person is THAT good that much of the time.
- The end of season 1 is kind of heartbreaking. Because ZACK, WHYYYYYYYY???
- Max's boss, Normal, deserves to be punched in the head at least once in every episode.
- Madame X is a pain in the arse, as is her irritating voiceover during the credits in season 2.
- As weird as the addition of all the other Manticore escapees is in season 2, Joshua is hilarious.
- While the genetically engineered virus may SEEM like a good idea for maintaining the sexual tension between Max and Logan for the whole of the second season, it really pisses me off. They should have just had them be in a relationship for five minutes, then realise that nope, not actually that interested after all, and then she could have hooked up with Alec and Logan could have hooked up with Asha, and everything would have been fiiiiiiiiine!!
- I LOVE the episode titles. They're fantastic.
- BLUE TOWEL.
- I love that Alec makes fun of Max for having a pager instead of a mobile phone.
- I honestly don't know what to make of the ending. I feel like it was kind of kludged together because the show got cancelled, because I feel like I skipped at least half a dozen episodes. But I didn't.
- How is it that shows like Dark Angel and Firefly get cancelled well before their time, but tripe like Australia's Got Talent and The X-Factor are still on the air??? *sigh*
- Basassery on motorbikes.
So. There you have it. Did you watch Dark Angel? Were you bummed when it was cancelled? Do you wish it had lasted longer than two years??