It took me a REALLY long time to decide which movie to watch for this week. I spent hours debating between Stardust, Maverick, and Ten Inch Hero and still couldn't come to a decision. But after seeing a bunch of tweets and Facebook status updates from the CRDL over the weekend, I changed my mind completely and instead went with this:
Reasons why Whip It is awesome:
1. Ellen Page as Bliss (aka Babe Ruthless).
2. Hip checking the bitchy girl at school.
4. The soundtrack. It's pretty phenomenal.
5. Kristin Wiig as Maggie Mayhem.
6. Smashley Simpson's rainbow striped hair. AWESOMENESS.
8. Playing 'Marco Polo' in the wheat field while looking for Oliver's keys.
9. Jimmy Fallon as the derby commentator.
10. Turning up at a beauty pageant with blue hair.
12. FOOD FIGHT.
13. Bruise comparisons. If you know any derby girls, you'll know that this is a fairly common occurrence.
14. Eulala Scheel as Bliss's little sister. HILARIOUS.
15. The hilarious aprons Bliss and Pash wear at work.
17. Bliss' dad's sneaky watching-football-in-his-truck plan. Genius.
18. Daniel Stern (aka Marv from Home Alone!) plays Bliss' father.
19. Smashley Simpson's broken nose and her team mates' reactions.
21. The scene where the Hurl Scouts turn up at the beauty pageant.
22. Jumping over the whole Holy Rollers team.
23. The leg whip. I couldn't find any footage from the movie, so here's some real derby girls instead:
24. The scene with her dad hammering a "Babe Ruthless" placard into the front lawn.25. ROLLER DERBY. Sure, it may be full of illegal hits and moves that would get you sin binned for life in the real world. Also, it's banked track derby and in Australia (as far as I know!) we only have flat track. But as a way to introduce people to the sport? It's pretty great.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "I just wanted to tell y'all that...you're my new heroes." "Well, put some skates on. Be your own hero."
- "Shoes are a gateway drug."
- "I'm Maggie. Maggie Mayhem." "I'm Bliss. But I can change that." "...Yeah, you'll have to."
- "You don't have the balls." "I'll grow the balls!"
- "I like smart girls. That's why I married your mama. Well, that and I knocked her up."
- "So, are you ready for your big debut?" "Has anyone ever thrown up on the track before?" "...Yeah."
- "Yeah, let's celebrate mediocrity, that's great!"
- "You're gonna have to roll over, you smell like a dead goat."
- "We deserve better villains."
- "Let's go apeshit."
- "Play number 8. You ready for the whip?" "Put your arm out. I'll be there."
- "So what, are you like...alternative now?" "Alternative to what??"
- "Have a swell day at school, sweetheart."
- "I feel so stupid for falling for it." "That's why I like a good fondling, you know? It's much simpler."
- "Screw you and your grandmother's Chevy Celebrity!"
- "One day, you're going to thank me." "Yeah, in my suicide note..."
- "What's your derby name?" "Pocket Rocket. What's yours?" "Jabba the Slut."
Have you seen it? What did you think? Also, have you been to a derby bout? Because you really should. Not that I'm biased or anything... ;)