That's right, kids. It's time for my one and only concession to Halloween!!
Reasons why Hocus Pocus is awesome:
1. Bette Midler as Winifred Sanderson. She. Is. Brilliant.
3. The book. It's still creepifying.
4. Sarah Jessica Parker. This is literally the only thing I've ever seen her in where I don't want to punch her in the face. (And yes, I just checked her IMDB page to clarify that statement. I stand by it.)
5. The scene where the sisters sing "I Put a Spell on You" at the Halloween party.
6. Tricking the witches into the kiln with a French tape.7. Kathy Najimy. Unlike SJP, Kathy Najimy pretty much steals the show whatever she's in. This is no exception.
8. The mother's Halloween costume - 1980s Madonna.
9. Okay, you guys? This completely blew my mind when I found out. Thackery Binx? IS TIMOTHY MCGEE FROM NCIS. (aka Sean Murray)
11. Billy Butcherson. Who doesn't love a snarky zombie?!
12. The sleazy bus driver.
13. The local bullies, Jay and 'Ice'. Ice, incidentally, is played by Larry Bagby, better known as Larry, the Sunnydale High bully from Buffy.
15. Flying on a vacuum cleaner.
16. Dani. Sure, she's a pain in the arse little sister. But she's also hilariously sassy a lot of the time.
17. The scene where Billy cuts open the stitches across his mouth and starts yelling at Winifred.
19. It makes Salem look approximately a thousand times cooler than it really is.
20. Look, it's just freaking awesome, okay????
Plus, the following quotes:
- "I. Am. Beautiful. Boys will love me!"
- "You should have punched him." "He would have killed me!" "At least you would have died like a man."
- "Max likes your yabos."
- "Oh, come on. It's just a bunch of hocus pocus."
- "I summon the burning rain of death!"
- "Dost thou comprehend???"
- "I've always wanted a child. And now I think I'll have one. ON TOAST!!"
- "I AM CALM!"
- "Go to Hell!" "Oh, I've been there, thank you. I found it quite lovely."
- "Well, what does it say?" "Well, it says to form a circle of salt to protect from zombies, witches, and old boyfriends."
- "Max, I'm not going up there. My friends at school told me all about that place. It's weird!" "Dani, this is the girl of my dreams!" "So take her to the movies like a normal person!!"
- "WHY? Why was I cursed with such IDIOT sisters??" "Just lucky, I guess."
- ""Oh, look. Another glorious morning. Makes me sick."
- "Thackery Binx, what took thee so long?" "I'm sorry, Emily. I had to wait three hundred years for a virgin to light a candle."
- "Don't get your knickers in a twist! We're just three kindly old spinster ladies." "Spending a quiet evening at home." "Sucking the lives out of little children!"
- "Sisters, All Hallow's Eve has become a night of frolic, where children wear costumes and run amok!" "Amok! Amok, amok, amok, amok, amok... [Winifred punches Sarah in the stomach] Ugh!"
- "Well, tell me then, what do you call this contraption?" "I call it... a bus." "A bus. And its purpose?" "To convey such beautiful creatures such as yourselves to your most... forbidden desires." "We desire... children." "Hey, it may take me a couple of tries, but I don't think there will be a problem."
- "Wench! Trollop! You buck-toothed, mop-riding, firefly from hell! I've waited centuries to say that." "Say what you want, just don't breathe on me!"
- "It's the chocolate covered finger of a man named Clark!"
- "What is this place?" "It reeks of children!" "It is a prison for children."
- "Hello, I want my book. Bonjour, je veux mon livre."
- "I will always be with you."
What's your favourite movie to watch at Halloween?