This week's movie was actually my brother C's choice. He was over last night, and I couldn't decide between half a dozen movies, so I yelled out the names of them until he picked something. And I'm kinda glad he picked this one, because ZOMG HOW HAVE I NOT DONE THIS YET?!?!?!?!?
For clarification purposes, I'm talking about the 2007 UK movie, not the 2010 US remake, which I haven't seen and don't really plan on seeing, because WHY WOULD YOU REMAKE THIS PIECE OF CINEMATIC GOLD?!?!?!?! *sigh*
Reasons why Death at a Funeral is awesome:
1. Alan Tudyk as Simon. There are no words to describe how much I love Alan Tudyk. Between this, Firefly and A Knight's Tale? He's my favourite thing in all of them. And he's truly fantastic in this.
3. Peter Dinklage as Peter. I haven't seen Game of Thrones, and don't really intend to (I HATED the book with a fiery passion), so to me, Peter Dinklage will forever be cast in this role. And he's hilarious.
5. Kris Marshall as Troy, a pharmacist in training with a nice side business in designer drugs. Kris Marshall is one of my favourite parts of Love Actually, and he's equally brilliant here.
6. The opening scene where the undertakers turn up with the wrong body.
8. It was directed by Frank Oz, who's better known as the voices of Cookie Monster, Miss Piggy, and YODA.
9. The scene where Simon is playing with the toilet paper.
11. The opening credits, with the little coffin driving around the map and getting lost.
12. The scene where Daniel and Robert are stuffing Peter into their father's coffin.
13. Jane Asher as Sandra, the grieving widow.
15. The scene where realisation dawns on Daniel and he stares around his father's study in horror.
16. The scene where Simon is dribbling, then sucking it back up and cackling hysterically to himself. Gross, but hilarious.
18. The scene where Peter emerges from the coffin with some epic crazy eyes.
20. Pretty much everything that Sandra says to her daughter in law, Jane. OMG, BURN.
21. All the scenes featuring Simon on the roof. I will never not laugh until I cry over that.
22. Simon sticking his head in a hedge.
- "Would you like a cup of tea, Sandra?" "Tea can do many things, Jane, but it can't bring back the dead."
- "I must be going mad... Why are my hands so BIG???"
- "Everything's so fucking green!!"
- "Well, this is a bit grim, isn't it?"
- "Who's this?" "Pardon me?" "That's not my father." "Oh shit, we've taken the wrong one!"
- "Simon! Come inside and we'll have a cup of tea." "NO!!"
- "Are you saying that Dad was a gay?!?!?"
- "Was there a dog in here just now?"
- "If he jumps, I'm fucked."
- [through a locked bathroom door] "Simon." "...Simon." "Simon!" "Simon." "Si!" "Mon."
- "Now, if there's anything I can do, Sandra..." "Don't put your hand there, dear, you'll leave smudge marks."
- "What did you just say?" "I SAID the Valium you gave to Simon wasn't actually Valium. It's an hallucinogenic concoction. You know, stuff like acid, mescaline, a little ketamine." "This isn't funny, Troy." "I'm not being funny. Look at him. He's off his tits!" "You absolute little twat! What the hell are you doing leaving this stuff around your flat?" "I didn't know someone was going to take it, did I? I mean who just goes into someone else's flat and takes random pills?" "They were in a Valium bottle!"
- "Go, go! Join the others!" [to the toilet paper]
- "What are you doing in my dad's coffin??"
- "I'm about to shit in my trousers."
- "Didn't notice him? He's four fucking feet tall!"
- "I tried writing once. Didn't work for me either."
- "She stole my parking space!"
- "It's so exciting! For a funeral, I mean..."
- "We're on our way to a funeral, you wanker! Don't you have any respect?"
So. Have you seen it? Do you love it? And have you seen the American remake? If so, do you know why it exists??? Because I have no clue...