So I was originally planning on doing a completely different movie for today's post. And then yesterday I saw a post on Tumblr that said "Everyone knows all the words to at least two national anthems - their own and Genovia's." At first, I was all "Pffffff" (partly because that should be amended to say "Unless you live outside America, in which case you also know theirs because you can't escape it"), but then my brain was all "Genovia, Genooooooooviaaaaaaa, forever will your banner waaaaave!". And that was it - the Genovian national anthem was firmly lodged in my brain for the rest of the day, leaving only one option for Movie Monday.
There are insufficient words for how much I love this movie. It's pretty much everything that every awkward teenage girl wants to happen in life and then some.
Reasons why The Princess Diaries is awesome:
1. Anne Hathaway. This was her first movie role, and she apparently got hired because she accidentally fell off her chair in the audition. Regardless of how she got the job, she's pretty fantastic in this.
2. The big makeover scene.
4. The Prime Minister and his wife.
5. Hector Elizondo. He's awesome.
6. The scene where Mia breaks a finger off a statue at the Genovian consulate.
8. Mia's house. Who wouldn't want to have their own tower, as well as being able to slide down a pole to breakfast every morning?!
9. Larry Miller as Paolo. He's probably better known for playing Kat and Bianca's dad in 10 Things I Hate About You, but he's completely and utterly hilarious in this.
10. Mia's dancing.
12. Mia trying to cross her legs at the ankle in the royalty approved fashion and falling off her chair.
13. Mia's mum. She's pretty great as far as fictional parents go (okay, except for that whole lying to her daughter for 15 years thing...).
14. Lilly. Quite possibly the angriest best friend of ever, but she's always there when it counts.
16. Waving lessons.
17. Throwing darts at paint filled water balloons, and having it count as art. WIN.
18. Mia's attempts at throwing and catching in PE class. Yeah, that's pretty much me a lot of the time...
20. The entire state dinner, from accidentally setting someone on fire, to flinging food all over the room, to breaking the crystal ware. Hilarious.
21. The totally bonkers next door neighbour. Although I always laugh when Mia says "Good morning, Mr. Robutusen", because Robitussen is a brand of cough syrup...
22. Mia falling over on the bleachers. Part of me suspects that wasn't scripted...
24. The overdedicated photographer at the beach who's wearing desert fatigues and has fake grass attached to his camera, like he's hunting lions.
25. The PE teacher. She's great.
26. Mia's dress for the ball.
28. One of the producers was Whitney Houston.
29. Mandy Moore as the bitchy cheerleader, Lana.
30. Okay, this one is more of a question than a thing that's awesome. American teen stuff always seems to feature debating as a class. Is that something that actually happens???? Because we always did debating as part of English...
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Well, as always, this is as good as it's gonna get."
- "Somebody sat on me again." (I think this one is why I love this movie as much as I do. Because this happens to me ALL THE FREAKING TIME.)
- "Please don't crush my soy nuts."
- "The elegant European woman didn't stay for tea. But the promise of tomorrow hung in the air."
- "Goodbye, trolley people!"
- "I've never put on pantihose, but it sounds dangerous."
- "If Brooke Shields married Groucho Marx, their child would have your eyebrows."
- "Me? A - a princess? SHUT UP!!"
- "You know you look like Shaft?"
- "This dance is between a waltz and a tango, you see?" "It's a wango??"
- "Some day, we will own Genovia again. And your face will be on a postage stamp."
- "My expectation in life is to be invisible, and I'm good at it."
- "Good morning, Ms Gupta!" "Morning Lilly! .......Lilly's friend..."
- "You wouldn't be running away, would you?" "What, dressed like this? [jeans and a hoodie] No, I'm going to a ball!"
- "Just in case I'm not enough of a freak already, LET'S ADD A TIARA!"
- "Don't forget the shoes. Strange town, San Francisco. When I purchased the pumps, they asked if I wanted them wrapped or if I wanted to wear them."
- "Cute, Jeremiah, but the way to a girl's heart is not by treating her like a vending machine."
- "Wait up, wait for me! Not you, I don't even know you."
- "Well, do you have any change?" "No! It's not appropriate for royalty to jingle."
- "Okay, I look like an asparagus."
- "Why me?" "Because you saw me when I was invisible."
- "It's Saturday night and welcome to my cable show, Shut Up and Listen."
- "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."
Happy Monday, y'all. I hope a long lost relative turns up out of the blue and gives you a tiara.