Sometime last week, Emily mentioned on Twitter that she loved babysitting, because it gave her an excuse to watch High School Musical 3, and YAY ZEFRON!! Now, in my mind, there's only one movie that springs to mind when I think of Zefron: 17 Again. I love the CRAP out of this movie - sure, it's super cheesy and pretty predictable. But it's also hilarious, and it's almost a transitional movie for Zefron - a shift away from the singing and dancing he'd done in the past.
Fun fact of the day? Zefron's first film role was playing Mini Simon Tan in Firefly!! See??
ANYWAY... Back to the point.
Reasons why 17 Again is awesome:
1. Zefron as 17 year old Mike. He's absolutely hilarious in this, playing a 35 year old father of two trapped in the body of his teenage self.
2. The epic fight - complete with light sabres - that happens between Mike and his best friend, Ned, when Ned sees 17 year old Mike for the first time.
3. Matthew Perry as 35 year old Mike. He's obviously miserable with the way his life has gone, but you still get all those fantastic moments and facial expressions that you only get from Matthew Perry.
4. 1989 Mike dancing with the cheerleaders. HILARIOUS.
6. The ridiculous Ed Hardy outfit.
10. Mike's douchey boss.
11. Drunk Scarlett poking 17 year old Mike's face.
13. The brilliant scene in the cafeteria, complete with Zefron's obligatory basketball spinning.
15. Scarlett's awkward attempts at dancing in front of the mirror.
16. Ned testing the wine when he finally convinces the principal to go out with him.
17. The awkward sex ed class.
18. 17 year old Mike attempting to give his daughter's friends a pep talk about self respect.
19. The 'letter' Mike reads out in court. It's kind of adorable.
21. Scarlett's bitchy best friend, Naomi.
22. Ned playing five different computer games on five different screens at the same time, all while blaring 'Danger Zone'.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "You look like a douche." "I do NOT look like a douche!" "What a douche..."
- "Well of COURSE I want to live in the past. It was better there..."
- "I think our hands just made a baby."
- "Are you now or have you ever been a Norse god, vampire, or time-travelling cyborg?"
- "Think of it as us saying 'You're just too valuable to promote'."
- "Come on, man! Don't you ever wanna go back and do high school again?" "No. I'm rich and no one stuck my head in a toilet today!"
- "Hi Mike." "Naomi." "NAI-omi." "I don't care."
- "I'd shake your hand, but it's taped to my ass."
- "What are you eating?!" "I don't even know. I just that I'm hungry. ALL the time."
- "Well, that was fun. I haven't been to Happy Hour in like...a week and a half."
- "Peacocking? Really? You think that's going to work??"
- "Do you dance with ALL your friends' moms??"
- "You can plunder my dungeon any time." "I'll bring my longbow."
- "Okay, that's not safe OR sanitary. That's your can now. We'll label it like that."
- "You! Are a weirdo little man child."
- "To the Ned Mobile!" "Ned. Wait... Pants."
- "Hey, Mom. This is Mark, Uncle Ned's bastard." "Wow............" "I know, someone had a kid with Uncle Ned..."
- "But Jane, how can you be seen with me when I'm wearing...a cloak of invisibility?"
- "Carnations? What a douche!" "Mark!" "That's okay, I'm a single dad. It's totally normal for sons to feel weird with their mom's date. Stepping into their dad's shoes, protecting their castle." "He's not my son." "Oh. Then that's weird."
- "Wow. This is some other dad's problem..."
- "We HAVE to go shopping. Your shirt is bedazzled." "Bedazzled with RHINESTONES!!"
- "Okay, you wait here. I'm going to go smell him." "No, no, no. Sweetie, you're not allowed to smell teenagers."
- "You're the man. Captain of the basketball team, dates the pretty girls, high school is your kingdom. But people, Stan is a bully! Why? It'd be WAY too easy to say Stan preys on the weak simply because he's a dick. No, no. Stan here is much more complex than that. See, according to leading psychiatrists, Stan is a bully for one of three reasons. One: underneath all that male bravado, there's an insecure little girl banging on the closet door trying to get out. Two: like a caveman, Stan's brain is underdeveloped. Therefore, Stan is unable to use self control. And so he acts out aggressively. And the third reason: Stan has a small wiener. Don't hurt yourself, big boy."
So. Thoughts? Also, do you prefer singing and dancing Zefron? Or serious mopey chick flick Zefron?? Because I have yet to see him in any of the latter, and I don't know if I can bring myself to do so...