Okay. I fully acknowledge that today's movie is kind of terrible. But while it's terrible, it's also pretty bloody amazing. And I have a slightly bizarre level of love for it.
Reasons why She's the Man is awesome:
1. Amanda Bynes. Sure, she's not the greatest actress on the planet, but she's pretty darned brilliant in this.
2. It made one of Shakespeare's less spectacular and more confusing plays into a completely hilarious movie.
3. Channing Tatum as Duke Orsino. He's kind of a terrible actor. But let's face it - no one's really paying attention to his acting abilities.
4. Amanda Bynes' character, Viola. She's kind of a badass. She knows what she wants and she's not afraid to go after it, no matter how absurd the lengths. A better role model than Bella Swan? Uh, YES. (Okay, except for the starting fights part. But shhhhhh)
5. Paul, Viola's hairdresser/partner in crime. He's pretty much an evil genius.
6. Vinnie Jones. I will watch practically any movie that has Vinnie Jones in it. Because he is SPECTACULAR. (Also? Check out his profile picture on IMDB. It pretty much sums him up.)
8. The principal. ZOMG.
9. Duke with tampons stuck up his nose.
10. The moustache trying on montage.
12. The mascots kicking each other during the fight at the soccer game.
13. Bicycle kicks. Totally show off-y and not really necessary, but still highly entertaining.
14. Duke's "the tarantula touched me!!" freak out dance.
16. Viola's stupid ex-boyfriend, Justin.
17. The real Sebastian trying to play soccer.
18. Amanda Bynes' fantastic facial expressions.
20. The dream in which Viola has to play soccer in a giant puffy dress and everyone laughs at her.
21. Duke trying to be all nonchalant and then whacking his head on the gym equipment.
Plus, the following (truly spectacular) quotes:
|Exactly. Also, source|
- "I just can't do this!" "Just remember, inside every girl, there's a boy. That came out wrong. But you know what I mean."
- "Mom, I will pick out my own dress. And no, I will not wear high heels. Because heels are a male invention designed to make women's butts look smaller...and to make it harder for them to run away."
- "And when I close my eyes, I see you for what you truly are, which is UUUUUUUUGLAY!!"
- "Is your sister hot?" "Uh...I guess so? She's got a great personality." "EW."
- "Are those real??" "Oh yeah, I'm growing sideburns now. NO!!"
- "What am I doing?? This isn't fun..."
- "Seriously, how old are you?" "I skipped a couple of grades. I'm brilliant. Shh!!"
- "[gets hit in groin with soccer ball. Guys all flinch] Oh. Right. OWWWW!! OH, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! IT BUUUUURNS!!!!"
- "What do you think it's going to be like?" "It's going to be really special. She's just kissed about 300 guys at this point."
- "That's right. Didn't score on me last half, won't score on this half. I'm a ninja. Ninja goalie."
- "How come when I wanted to ask Eunice out everyone made fun of me, but then Sebastian likes her and suddenly she's cool? Screw you guys. I hate high school."
- "So, uh, you play the beautiful game, bros? Brothers? Brethren?"
- "Suck it up! Be a man and rub some dirt on it."
- "I can do this. I'm a dude. I'm a hunky dude. I'm a badass hunky dude!"
- "Just remind your brother how lucky he is to be in my life. And tell him to give me a call if he wants to stay in it, okay?" "Okay. Does he have your number? 1800-BEEYATCH?"
- "Quit blushing, that's laaaaaame." "Shut up, I'm not blushing."
- "Viola, darling. Remember - chew like you have a secret!"
- "Girls with asses like mine do not talk to boys with faces like yours."
- "Ask me if...I like cheese." "Um...okay. Do you...like cheese?" "Why, yes I do. My favourite's Gouda!"
Is your favourite Gouda, too? (Which is to say "do you have a bizarre love of this movie, like I do?")