So during last week, I flew through reading Peaches for Monsieur le Curé - the third book in Joanne Harris' Chocolat series. And so it seemed only fair that I watch the movie that started my love for these characters! Sure, the movie is a total and complete massacre of the book, but it's still spectacular.
Reasons why Chocolat is awesome:
1. Juliette Binoche. She's perfect as Vianne.
3. Anouk beating all the old men at cards, and winning a brace of pheasants.
4. The story of Vianne's parents.
5. ALL THE CHOCOLATE.
|OM NOM NOM NOM. Source|
7. The nifty Mexican fortune telling wheel thingy.
8. Lena Olin as Josephine.
9. Judi Dench as Armande. She doesn't have a huge role in this, but she's great nonetheless.
11. The score is fantastic.
12. Serge getting sent to Sunday School to atone for his sins.
13. The scenery.
14. Johnny Depp playing the guitar.
16. The costumes - so many gorgeous dresses!
17. Armande's birthday party.
18. The Comte stuffing himself on chocolate in the window of the shop. Totally understandable.
20. Not eating croissants and chocolate makes you crazy. This movie proves it.
21. Rustling chocolate wrappers in church.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Sorry, Monsieur. Pirate attack."
- "[eats a worm] Subtle... Zesty? DISGUSTING."
- "I hear she's an atheist." "What's that?" "I don't know!"
- "I'll come round sometime, and get that squeak out of your door."
- "[hits abusive husband with a frying pan] Who says I can't use a skillet?"
- "What's the decor? Early Mexican brothel??"
- "Don't you ever think about...belonging somewhere?" "The price is too high. You end up caring what people expect of you. No."
- "I should probably warn you - you make friends with us, you make enemies of others." "Is that a promise?" "It's a guarantee!"
- "Aaah, good morning. Can I interest you in some Nipples of Venus?"
- "Any complaints, see me."
- "Would you care to buy something special for your lady friend?" "Lady friend?" "Mm-hmm, the lovely woman your dog was so fond of." "[smiles] Oh." "Her favorite is chocolate seashells, that's my guess." "Oh, no, I mustn't. Madame Audel is in mourning for her husband." "Oh. I'm sorry. When did he pass away?" "The war. German grenade." "Oh, I see. Well, it's been 15 years since the war, so surely..." "No, not that war. Monsieur Audel was killed on January the 12th, 1917. It was quite a blow to Madame Audel." "Apparently so..."
- "Let me try to put this into perspective for you. The first Comte de Reynaud expelled all the radical Huguenots in this village. You and your truffles present a far lesser challenge."
Here, have a GIF of Johnny Depp eating chocolate that I couldn't find anywhere else to put:
So. Do you love Chocolat as much as I do? And have you read the books? If so, which do you prefer??