I honestly can't believe it's taken me this long to cover today's selection. Because I love the crap out of it:
Hey, what can I say - I'm a child of the 80s!! And it's basically obligatory to love this movie if you're a child of the 80s. Also, if I can't have a TARDIS, I'll settle for a time travelling DeLorean...
Reasons why Back to the Future is awesome:
1. Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly. I honestly can't picture anyone else in this role. EVER.
3. The DeLorean. It's pretty much a character in its own right.
4. The soundtrack - the score is fantastic, and Huey Lewis was pretty much the epitome of the 80s.
5. Crispin Glover as George McFly. He's fantastic.
6. The scene where Marty skateboards to school and hitches rides behind various cars.
8. Biff. He's such a stereotypical bully.
9. The flames on the road after the DeLorean disappears through time.
10. The scene where Marty persuades George to ask Lorraine out by blasting him with Van Halen and pretending to be Darth Vader. Genius.
11. The scene where Marty plays Johnny B. Goode at the school dance.
13. The giant amplifier right at the start.
14. Einstein and Copernicus, Doc's dogs.
15. Uncle Joey's parole cake.
16. The scene where Biff and the other bullies drive into the back of a manure truck.
18. Doc Brown's alarm clock/breakfast making system. AMAZING.
19. The flux capacitor.
20. The judge who says that Marty's band are too loud to play at the school dance in 1985? That's Huey Lewis.
21. The scene where Doc Brown is dangling from the clock tower.
23. The scene where George finally stands up to Biff. It's just brilliant.
24. It's produced by Steven Spielberg, who pretty much can't do any wrong (the fourth Indiana Jones movie was a notable exception..................)
25. This scene:
Plus, the following quotes:
- "I'm your density!"
- "Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine...out of a DeLorean??" "The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?"
- "Great Scott!!!!"
- "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
- "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour...you're going to see some serious shit."
- "Last night, Darth Vader came down from Planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out, that he'd melt my brain."
- "If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything."
- "What happens to us in the future? Do we become assholes or something??"
- "Calvin? Wh...Why do you keep calling me Calvin?" "Well, that's your name, isn't it? Calvin Klein? It's written all over your underwear."
- "Whoa. Wait a minute, Doc. Are you trying to tell me that my mother has the hots for me??" "Precisely!" "What. This is heavy." "There's that word again. 'Heavy'. Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earth's gravitational pull?"
- "I'm sure that by 1985, plutonium is available in every corner drugstore, but in 1955, it's a little hard to come by!"
- "Strickland! Jesus, didn't that guy EVER have hair??"
- "[plays rock guitar solo] I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet... But trust me, your kids are going to love it!"
- "1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!!" "What the hell is a gigawatt???"
Question of the day: would you rather have a TARDIS or a time travelling DeLorean? And would you go forward or backwards in time???