Rewatching today's choice has been a long time coming. First, there was Paulie having a fanboy moment when "Danger Zone" started playing when we were driving to Canberra back in February. Although I must say, doing 110kph along the Hume with the windows down and Kenny Loggins blaring on the stereo was pretty awesome.
Then a few weeks ago, Alicia asked on Twitter what the name of the actor was who played Iceman. And finally, yesterday when I was working on an assignment, I came across a blog post by the Library of Congress titled "This is Maverick requesting a fly by", and I figured it was a sign.
Reason why Top Gun is awesome:
1. Tom Cruise before he got all insane and couch-jumpy.
|Source. Also? That article is hilarious and you should read it.|
3. Val Kilmer as Iceman. Total badass.
4. The volleyball scene. What? Quit judging!
|I tried so hard to find a gif of this. But apparently there are a bunch of|
cheerleading teams called "Top Gun", which clutters up the search results.
6. Spectacular 80s moustaches.
7. A very young Adrian Pasdar. I know him as Declan from Mysterious Ways (seriously, did anyone watch that show? Because everyone I ask says they've never heard of it). You guys might know him better as Nathan Petrelli from Heroes though.
9. Meg Ryan's hair. I particularly love the part where the start of the film emphasises that it's set in "The present day" while her hair is kind of the equivalent of acid wash denim.
|Contrary to appearances, she's wearing clothes in this scene. Also, source.|
11. It's produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and directed by Tony Scott.
12. The scene where they flip off the MiG pilot.
14. Goose playing "Great Balls of Fire".
15. The final dogfight.
16. It led to the whole Barney Stinson "flight suit up!" thing.
18. It also led to people photoshopping David Tennant's head onto Maverick's body. I would watch the crap out of a movie in which Tennant played a fighter pilot. (And I now can't find a picture of this to prove it to you. FAIL. You'll just have to trust me when I say it's awesome. If anyone finds it in the depths of Tumblr, let me know!)
19. The "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" scene.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "I feel the need...the need for speed!"
- "Maverick's supersonic. I'll be there in thirty seconds."
- "Hey Goose, you big stud!" "That's me!!" "Take me to bed or lose me forever."
- "Come on, Mav. Do some of that pilot shit!"
- "The Defence Department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid."
- "Are you a good pilot?" "I can hold my own." "Great, then I don't have to worry about you making your living as a singer."
- "YOU! You are still dangerous... But you can be my wingman any time." "Bullshit. You can be mine."
- "No. No. Mav, this is not a good idea!" "Sorry, Goose. But it's time to buzz the tower."
- "You were in a 4G INVERTED dive with a MiG28?" "Yes, ma'am." "At what range?" "Um...about two metres? [looks to Goose]?" "It was actually about one and a half, I think. It was one and a half. I've got a great Polaroid of it, and he's right there. Must be one and a half."
- "Is this your idea of fun, Mav?"
- "Son, your ego is writing cheques your body can't cash!"
- "Tower, this is Ghostrider requesting a fly by." "Negative, Ghostrider. The pattern is full."
- "And if you screw up just THIS much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!!"
Please tell me you guys are old enough to remember this movie? Do you love it? Hate it? Love to drive up the Hume Highway blasting Danger Zone?