This week's choice was kind of a last minute decision. I'd originally been planning on rewatching Phantom of the Opera, because I downloaded the original London cast soundtrack last week and spent every day listening to it on the tram. But after spending eight hours in the car on both Friday and Sunday, and with tracks from the soundtrack popping up regularly, I was a little over it by the time we got home last night! So you get this instead.
Reasons why Sherlock Holmes is awesome:
1. Robert Downey Junior. He's brilliant. (Not QUITE as brilliant as he was in The Avengers, but still!)
3. Holmes hanging out in prison.
4. Jude Law, sporting a spectacular moustache. He's pretty great as Watson.
6. Holmes hanging himself at the end.
7. The scene where the maid finds Holmes handcuffed naked to the bed.
8. Rachel McAdams as Irene Adler.
10. The music.
11. Wheeeeeeee, creepy secret societies!!
12. Gladstone, the dog.
14. Irene's costumes. They're pretty amazing.
15. The scene in the abattoir.
16. EPIC BROMANCE.
18. Exploding graves.
19. Moriarty, albeit in a "we're building up to a second movie" kind of a way.
20. The fight scene on the under-construction Tower Bridge.
22. Holmes escaping out the window and into the Thames.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Suicide is not in his repertoire. He's far too fond of himself for that."
- "You'll miss me, Sherlock." "Sadly...yes."
- "Holmes! Does your depravity know no bounds??" "No."
- "You. Look. GORGEOUS!" (Watson to Holmes)
- "That's not Blackwood!" "Well. Now we have a firm grasp of the obvious..."
- "You do know what you're drinking is meant for eye surgery?"
- "Get that out of my face." "It's not in your face, it's in my hand." "Get what's in your hand out of my face."
- "Why are you always so suspicious?" "Should I answer chronologically or alphabetically?"
- "He's killed the dog! Again..."
- "It's happening! Whether you like it or not. 8.30. The Royale. Wear a jacket." "You wear a jacket..."
- "It's a matter of professional integrity! No girl wants to marry a doctor who can't tell if a man's dead or not!"
- "In another life, Mr Holmes, you would have made an excellent criminal." "Yes, and you an excellent policeman!"
Random and mostly unrelated questionnaire: Which do you prefer - Sherlock Holmes or Sherlock??? Robert Downey Junior or Benedict Cumberbatch? Because I honestly can't decide...
(Also, do you have any idea how hard it is to find photos for this movie? All the search results bring up pictures from Sherlock AND from The Avengers, and you have to sort through mountains of irrelevant and distracting awesomeness...)