Oh, hai. Are y'all relieved that Eurovision is over and that I'll now shut up about it for another 12 months?? (Extra apologies to those of you who follow me on Twitter, and who had to live through the #sbseurovision frenzy that I had going on.)
Anyway, Eurovision (I promise I'll stop talking about it soon!) actually inspired this week's movie choice. The contestant from Albania reminded me quite a lot of the Diva. And once I'd come to that conclusion, this movie was the obvious choice!
Reasons why The Fifth Element is awesome:
1. Milla Jovovich. She's completely adorable. And a total badass. AND she saves the universe.
3. Leeloo eating entire chickens and absorbing 5,000 years of human history at the same time.
4. Wheeeeeee, giant spaceships and evil talking planets!
5. Gary Oldman. Quite how this man STILL doesn't have an Oscar is completely beyond me. At least he has a nomination? (Unlike Alan Rickman...)
7. Spaceships and archaeology in 1914.
8. Bruce Willis, doing what Bruce Willis does best.
9. The cat watching TV.
11. This entire movie is basically Doctor Who meets Star Trek meets Die Hard meets Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. What more could you want?!
12. Lee Evans! (aka Tucker from There's Something About Mary)
13. The Diva.
15. The scene where Gary Oldman chokes on a cherry.
16. I would LOVE a bed that makes itself. And restaurants that come to your house. And make up that does itself. And food that appears magically from some kind of powder. Basically, I'm lazy.
17. Chris Tucker. He is SPECTACULAR in this.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "What's wrong with you? What you screamin' for? Every five minutes, there's somethin'. A bomb or something'. I'm leaving!! Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!"
- "Evil begets evil, Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger."
- "Anybody else want to negotiate?"
- Chi-cken. GOOD."
- "Mrs. Dallas, this is the President. On behalf of the federation, I would like to thank you..." "Oh PLEASE. That doesn't even sound like him! The President's an idiot, you don't sound like an idiot. If you don't wanna talk to your mother, just avoid me like usual, huh? I'll just throw myself in traffic! I'll just Saran Wrap myself to the bed and pretend my child is suffocating me..."
- "Leeloo Dal-las Mul-ti-pass!"
- "Sir, are you classified as human?" "Negative. I am a meat popsicle."
- "Wedding?" "[looks at himself and the four bouncers around him] Uh, not really..."
- "Bada boom. BIG bada boom."
- "I'm going to be famous!!"
- "Pla-eez haelp."
- "[to alien] A...a...a...are you German??"
- "Look, lady. I only speak two languages: English. And bad English."
- "Aziz, LIGHT!! [spaceship lights come on] Much better, thank you Aziz."
So, what do you think of The Fifth Element? Love it? Hate it? Never seen it? Let me know!!