Honestly, I'm surprised I've made it this long into my Movie Monday series without posting about today's movie. Because it's one of my all time favourites, and it seems shocking that it should have taken me nearly six months to get around to writing about it!
Pirates of the Caribbean. The first and the best, obviously! The rest were - let's face it - highly entertaining, but a little bit rubbish... ANYOFFTOPICTANGENT, moving on...
Reasons why Pirates of the Caribbean is awesome:
1. Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow. The man is a genius, that's all there is to it.
3. Geoffrey Rush. He's right up there with Gary Oldman and Alan Rickman for his versatility in my opinion.
5. Orlando Bloom. Sure, he's not the world's greatest actor. But I love him in this, even if he's all angsty and annoying in the sequels.
6. Jack's entrance. BEST. ENTRANCE. EVER.
7. Kevin R. McNally. He's hilarious.
9. The soundtrack.
10. Keira Knightley's ridiculous eyebrow raises. They make me laugh.
|You have great eyebrows, Keira. But the left one tends to get...quizzical. Also, source.|
12. Jack and Will's fight in the blacksmiths.
13. Aztec gold.
15. Jack's grin when his plan comes together.
17. Will's hideous hat at the end. It's very...Three Musketeers...
19. Pintel and Ragetti.
21. Murtogg and Mulroy.
23. Johnny Depp liked Jack Sparrow's tattoo of a sparrow against a rising sun so much that he got one the same after filming finished.
24. The crew included an historian. I WANT THAT JOB. Like, now.
25. Jack's running. How can you not love it??
Plus, as always, the following quotes:
- "You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters."
- "There'll be no living with her after this."
- "If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it."
- "I'll buy you a hat. A really big one. Commodore."
- "This is just like what the Greeks done at Troy. 'Cept they was in a horse instead of dresses..."
- "Welcome to the Caribbean, love."
- "So we're all men of our word, really. Except for Elizabeth, who is in fact a woman."
- "Stop blowing holes in my ship!!!"
- "Now, bring me that horizon."
- "We're devils, we're black sheep, we're really bad eggs, drink up me hearties, yo ho!"
- "Unless you have a rudder and a lot of sails hidden in that bodice - unlikely - young Mr. Turner will be dead long before you can reach him."
- "I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no."
- "Clearly, you've never been to Singapore."
- "We know you're 'ere, poppet!"
- "I can't bring this ship into Tortuga all by me onesies, savvy?"
- "Human hair. From my back."
- "I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically."
- "You like pain? Try wearing a corset."
- "You need to find yourself a girl, mate. Or perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one, and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you??"
- "Easy on the goods, darlin'."
- "You are without doubt the worst pirate I've ever heard of." "But you have heard of me."
- "You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before"?"
- "Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate."
- "But why is the rum gone???"
- "Damn to the depths whatever muttonhead thought of parley!" "That would be the French."
- "You will always remember this as the day that you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow."
And for the record? That counts as restraining myself on the quotes front. Because I can recite basically the entire script from memory.
Do you guys love it as much as I do?? No, seriously. Tell me! Savvy? ;)