I honestly can't remember how, but at some point during the awesomeness that was hanging out with Caro yesterday afternoon, this movie came up in conversation. And I immediately knew that I was going to be watching it when I got home in preparation for today's post.
Reasons why Empire Records is amazing:
1. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that would be the greatest place to work EVER.
2. Ethan Embry as Mark. He's brilliant.
4. Liv Tyler being all angsty teenage girl. It makes for a nice change from her being an elf.
6. Debra. She's awesome.
8. The stunning mid-90s fashions.
9. A spontaneous street party to save a non-chain record store is pretty kickass.
10. The ridiculousness of Rex Manning's video clip.
12. I'm pretty sure Joe is the best boss of EVER.
13. The scene featuring AC/DC's If You Want Blood.
14. All the weird little dances that they do throughout the movie.
16. Basically, everything.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Damn the man, save the Empire!"
- "A responsibility like this requires the obedience of a saint."
- "Listening to this crap is guaranteed to make you sterile!" "[mutters] Maybe I WANT to be sterile..."
- "Happy Rex Manning day!!"
- "What's with today today?"
- "I swear to God, you get smarter the shorter your skirt gets."
- "Empire Records, open 'til midnight. This is Mark. [pause] MIDNIGHT."
- "No visible tattoos." "No revealing clothing." "We're both screwed. At least you're used to it."
- "How old are you?" "Old enough to kick your butt through your skull and splatter your brains on the wall!" "Yeah, he's a juvenile."
- "In the immortal words of The Doors, the time to hesitate is through."
- "Let's not fight. Let's just rip."
- "Shock me shock me shock me with that deviant behaviour."
Can you guys believe this movie is nearly twenty years old?? ARGH. (Also, who else now has Sugar High stuck in their head??)