Over the weekend, Emmy said something on Twitter about how she had the urge to watch Singin' in the Rain. The minute I saw her tweet, I knew I'd found my choice for this week's movie.
I love this movie. I can't even tell you how many times I've watched it. (Heads up - if you love this movie, do NOT read the trivia section about it on IMDb. It will make you saaaaaaaaaaad...)
Reasons why Singin' in the Rain is awesome:
1. Gene Kelly. My God, that man could dance.
3. Lina's voice. You can't help but laugh.
4. Donald O'Connor. Apparently he was really unwell when they were filming the "Make 'em Laugh" scene, to the point where he was so exhausted afterwards that he had to spend three days in bed to recover!
5. TAP DANCING, SO MUCH TAP DANCING. I'm not going to lie - a combination of this movie and seeing 42nd Street live on stage is what made me take up tap dancing a millionty years ago.
6. The "Make 'em Laugh" routine.
7. Movie directors wearing ridiculous puffy trousers and knee high boots.
8. Debbie Reynolds. She was only 19 when this was filmed, and had to catch several buses from her parents' house to the lot every day.
9. How often Gene Kelly acts/speaks directly to the camera.
10. Cyd Charisse. I actually don't like the "Broadway Melody" interlude-y thing, but she's an incredible dancer.
13. Jean Hagen. It takes a lot to be so dislikeable a character and still steal the show.
14. No matter how insanely strenuous the dance routines are, Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor always look like they're having a blast.
16. When the sound and the picture get out of sync at the screening of the Duelling Cavalier. Genius!!
Not to mention the following quotes, many of which are from Lina, so appear far less funny than they actually are when they're in her ridiculous squeaky voice:
- "She's so refined I think I'll kill myself."
- "What's wrong with the way I talk? What's the big idea? Am I dumb or something?"
- "Haven't you heard? She's irresistible! She told me so herself."
- "And I can't stand him!"
- "You've got to show a movie at a party. It's a Hollywood law!"
- "I'd rather kiss a tarantula." "You don't mean that." "I don't? Hey Joe - bring me a tarantula."
- "Well of COURSE we talk. Don't everybody?"
- "Moses supposes his toeses are roses, but Moses supposes erroneously. Moses he knowses his toeses aren't roses, as Moses supposes his toeses to be."
- "Well I can't make love to a bush!" (there's a microphone hidden in the shrubbery)
- "Sensational! Cosmo, remind me to give you a raise." "Oh, R.F.?" "Yes?" "Give me a raise."
- "I can't quite visualise it, I'll have to see it on film."
- "I happen to be in *love* with her." "That's ridiculous, everybody knows you're in love with me!"
- "I make more money than...than...than Calvin Coolidge. Put together!!"
- "People?! I ain't people!"
- "Lina. She can't act, she can't sing, she can't dance. A triple threat."
- "I gave an exclusive story to every paper in town."
- "If we bring a little joy into your humdrum lives, it makes us feel as though our hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'."
Who else covets basically every pair of shoes in this film?? Or, you know, just loves the crap out of it?