I spent a decent chunk of Saturday afternoon looking up trips to Egypt and Jordan for my mum, and being insanely jealous. So it's not entirely surprising that I'd end up watching the movie that made me want to go to Jordan in the first place.
In my humble opinion, it's the best of the Indy movies. Sure, it doesn't have the giant rolling boulder of doom or the shiny gold statue at the start. But it has River Phoenix. AND Sean Connery. Checkmate.
Reasons why Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is awesome:
3. River Phoenix.
4. X marking the spot.
5. Sean Connery.
6. The scenery at the beginning. Gorgeous.
7. Discovering why Indy hates snakes and where he got his iconic hat from.
8. Mr Donovan drinking from the wrong cup and the aftermath. Awesomeness.
9. The library in Venice. I want to go to there.
10. The tank driving off the cliff.
11. Decapitation by giant ancient blades.
12. The librarian staring at his book stamp in horror when it (apparently) makes crashing sounds.
14. Henry's journal. It's everything a journal should be.
15. Indy pretending to be Scottish. And failing miserably.
16. The dude with the hat (according to IMDb, the character's name is "Fedora". But there's also a character called "Panama Hat", so I'm guessing they're just identifying people by their hats now) grins in this "Damn. That kid's good." kind of a way when young Indy escapes from the train.
18. Plane crash by bird flock. All caused by an umbrella.
20. The Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword. You have to admit, that's a pretty badass secret society name.
21. The scene where they're tied to chairs and the room is on fire.
24. John Rhys Davies, even though he's not in it nearly enough.
25. The leap from the lion's head.
27. I will forever know the meaning of the word 'penitent' because of this movie.
28. Elsa falling into the abyss. She kind of deserves it.
30. It's so awesome that you can pretend Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull doesn't exist.
Plus, as always, the following quotes:
- "You call THIS archaeology??"
- "We named the dog Indiana."
- "I've got a lot of fond memories of that dog..."
- "You are strangely dressed...for a knight."
- "Only in a leap from the lion's head shall he prove his worth."
- "I should have mailed it to the Marx Brothers!!"
- "What's this?" "Ark of the Covenant." "Are you sure?" "Pretty sure."
- "What does the diary tell you that it doesn't tell us?" "It tells me that goosestepping morons like yourself should try reading books instead of burning them!"
- "He chose...poorly."
- "X never EVER marks the spot."
- "Junior, I have something to tell you." "Don't get sentimental now, Dad. Save it until we get out of here." "The floor's on fire...see...AND the chair..."
- "Get that camel out of the way!"
- "Water?" "No thank you, sir. No. Fish make love in it."
- "I was just remembering the last time we had a quiet drink together. I had a milkshake."
- "Dad! Are we hit?" "More or less..."
- "And if you are Scottish lord, I am Mickey Mouse!"
- "Our situation has not improved."
- "Are you crazy, don't go between them!" "Go between them, are you crazy??"
- "Look! I've gone and caught a sniffle!"
- "Just like your father, giddy as a schoolboy."
- "You lost today, kid. Doesn't mean you have to like it."
- "Care to wet your whistle, Marcus?" "I'd rather spit in your face. But as I haven't got any spit..."
So. What's your favourite Indiana Jones movie? (And if you say Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, we can't be friends any more...)